Will I benefit from BR surgery? 5'1, 115 lbs, Petite with 32FF breasts. (photos)

My breast grew at a rapid rate which caused stretch marks, my boobs sagging and most of the mass being at the bottom of my breast. I already saw a PS-recommended a minimal reduction with a lift. Insurance will not cover it and the PS wants $6800 for the procedure. I have slumped shoulders/hard time finding clothes/neck/shoulder pain/have to buy bras & bathing suits at a specialty store/online. Everyday I think/notice that they stick out too far from my ribcage which looks unflattering. Opinions?

Will I Benefit From Breast Reduction?

Thank you for your question and photos. From your pictures, it appears that you do have a small frame and would definitely benefit from a #breastreduction. The symptoms that you are experiencing are quite typical for a woman with large breasts. In addition to relieving the physical discomfort, we find that breast reduction also improves self image, allows for participation in various physical activities and it's easier to find clothes that fit. It might be in your best interest to get a second opinion with a Board Certified #plasticsurgeon. Ultimate, you need to be comfortable with the procedure and that you will be getting the results that you are looking for. Good luck.

Benefit from breast reduction?

Dear Skylarann,

Based on your physical appearance, I believe that a breast reduction would being your best interest. You will have to have multiple consultations to find out what the going price will be in your area. Remember, always seek consultation from board-certified plastic surgeons.

Breast reduction

If you are unhappy with the size of your breasts and they sag, then a small reduction with a lift sounds like a reasonable plan. Best to be seen in person.  My goal in the right patient is to use a lollipop type of incision if possible to  minimize the amount of incisions required.

Breast reduction benefits

Thanks for reaching out.  Breast reduction often helps with upper and lower back pain, bra strap grooving and recurrent rashes that occur on the underside of your breasts.  If you have any of these symptoms then a reduction can help.  Getting it covered by insurance should not be a problem for relief of these symptoms.

I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

Hello and thank you for your question and photo. 

Many women experience pain and discomfort with large heavy breasts. Some will often resort to using multiple bras,  Motrin,  pain medication and attempts at chiropractor or physical therapy. To date, there is no medical or scientific study proving that non-surgical options are of any value in treating this. 

The only treatment that is successful is surgery. All reductions are also lifts. Insurance coverage varies from plan to plan. I would start with calling your insurance carrier. They will be able to give you the basic coverage requirements. It can be difficult to get insurance companies to cover the procedure, however, if you read the details of your plan and follow through step by step it is manageable. Unfortunately, most insurance carriers will only cover a breast reduction if the reduction meets certain arbitrary weight limits. Otherwise, they consider it cosmetic. 

You should seek several consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area before making any decisions.

As always it is best to be healthy, no smoking, and to make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care physician.

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

Hello Skylarann,

Thank you for the question. Based on your pictures and complaints, you are a very suitable candidate for breast reduction. It is an effective operation, and may most probably solve your problems with neck pain and finding clothes. Although there are different techniques to reduce the size of breasts, most of them leave a scar which goes around your areola, from there to the breast fold, and horizontally at your breast fold like an inverted-T. The scar may be apparent in early postoperative period, but it fades over time.

I wish you all the best. 

Kind regards,

Guray

Guray Yesiladali, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Will I benefit from Breast Reduction surgery?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. 

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts. Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. You will likely find, but depending on the specific plastic surgeon, you will receive different advice when it comes to the "best reduction method". Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon, as opposed to selection of the specific technique, will be the most important decision you make.

To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Once you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, it will be important for you to communicate her goals carefully as well. In my practice, I asked patients to use as many “visual aids”, such as goal photographs, during the communication process. Avoid the use of subjective terms; for example, "C cup” and/or “proportionate"… these terms can be confusing, since they may mean different things to different people. Once you have communicated your goals, your chosen plastic surgeon will be able to  provide you with a more precise plan, including specific technique to be utilized.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.