Tooth fell out during Invisalign treatment. What should I do next? (Photo)

I am wearing Invisalign for 1,5 months now. When I had my appointment with an orthodontist, I was carefully examined. No red flags or warnings were raised by the orthodontist. This morning after biting a cookie, my front top tooth broke at the gum and fell out. That tooth was treated several times and had root canal removed. I am 100% confident that it happened due to the teeth movement caused by the Invisalign aligners. Nobody warned that this could happen. What should I do next, please advise

Fractured tooth and Invisalign #DrSoftTouch

I'm sorry to hear that your tooth fractured. I would recommend following up with your Invisalign provider so he/she can help you feel more confident about your smile. The great thing about Invisalign is that it can be used to Invisalign correct crooked teeth while maintaining a space for a future implant or bridge. While wearing future trays, a fake tooth can be added to the space, so while you're wearing the aligner, no one will know you have a missing tooth. I hope this helps. Click save on the save button below my name, so that you may ask me more questions in the future.

You're probably right!

sorry to hear about you troubles bit you're probably right. A bad bite can really hurt a natural tooth let alone a root canal treated tooth that's soft and brittle.

I would hope that part of the reason why you and your orthodontist decided on the Invisalign  treatment was to correct your overall bite to begin with...

However your tooth and that existing crown that fell out are part of your Invisalign treatment so your options moving forward are:

1. Attempt to having the same crown (even if temporarily) replaced back on your tooth until your Invisalign treatment is completed. This may mean having the bite on it adjusted

2. If the old crown is not replaceable, a new post and crown would be ordered but your Invisalign trays would have to be revised with new impressions after the new permanent crown is seated. This is to advise the lab of the new shape of that tooth and its new position compared to the rest of your teeth. 

Best to see your dentist as soon as possible! Good luck 

Hisham Kaloti, DDS
Mississauga Dentist