Invisalign and a calcified tooth?

I have a top front tooth that has been calcified for almost 20 years due to getting hit with a basketball. I have never had any problems with this tooth other than discoloration and my dentists have never mentioned needing a root canal. If I proceed with invisalign am I increasing the risk of needing a root canal on this tooth or worse - possibly losing this tooth? Thank you.

Calcified Tooth and Invisalign

Often times, a tooth that has experienced traumatic injury loses its vitality and will discolor. Additionally, the tooth can become ankylosed, making it more difficult to move. However, moving the tooth using Invisalign will most likely not cause any issues with that tooth, and even if the tooth is ankylosed, it shouldn’t prevent you from getting great results with your Invisalign.

Atlanta Dentist

Calcified Tooth

Classic early lifetime injury. Invisalign should not cause any loosening of the tooth , including causing it to fall out!

The bigger concern is that the tooth may be what is referred to as "ankylosed". Dental ankylosis is  characterized

by the fusion of the tooth to the bone, preventing both eruption and orthodontic movement. 

Not seeing any pictures or X-rays, we cannot give you an answer if your tooth is ankylosed. Your dentist ,

however, should be able to determine that. Or, an orthodontist should be able to help determine that. 

If it is ankylosed, Invisalign can still be accomplished. The Invisalign dentist needs to indicate to the Invisalign lab

that this ankylosed tooth canNOT be moved, so the whole case has to be planned around the fixed in place

tooth. We have the same issue when we are doing Invisalign with a patient that has one or more dental implants-

the implants do NOT move. 

Talk to your dentist, or find an orthodontist in your area for a consultation. 

Charles Briscoe, DDS
La Jolla Dentist