Weight loss after Mommy Makeover - Will this mess up my new stomach and breasts?

Still planning to lose weight once I recover from mommy make-over. Ideally it would be great to do this b/f I have the procedure done but the drag of my front is affecting my back. Will this mess up my new stomach and breasts?

Optimize your weight before surgery.

It is best to optimize your weight before surgery.  If you are within 10 pounds of your goal or you have been stable for months to years with healthy habits, then you are probably ready.  If you have especially large abdomen or breasts, then sometimes it is best to go ahead with surgery understanding that you may need a tune up once the bulk is gone and you can exercise more effectively.

Boise Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before or after mommy makeover

It would be best to be within 10-15 pounds of your target weight before surgery so that if you lose another 10-15 pounds afterwards your results will not be ruined in any way.  Of course, it depends also on your size/age to begin with.  If the "front" is too big and inhibits you from exercising and therefore getting to your goal you need to discuss this with your surgeon. In that case you may need to proceed knowing that a revision procedure will need to be done. There is nothing wrong with staging procedures as long as both the surgeon and the patient are comfortable with it. Best of luck to you.

You are correct in that preoperative weight loss will be ideal;   achieving your long-term stable way prior to proceeding with surgery will help improve the outcome of the surgery and decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary. Whether or not your outcome will be “messed up” with weight loss will depend (to a large degree) on how much weight loss you experience.  For example, a 5 to 10 pound weight loss will not necessarily change your outcome significantly; 15 pounds or greater will likely result in  deleterious changes of the breasts and abdomen.   Other factors that may come into play may include the speed of weight loss,  your age, and the quality of the overlying skin elasticity etc. Best wishes.

Weight loss after mommy makeover will not mess up the result.

Many patients use abdominal contouring surgery as a psychological start up for further weight loss. Unless the weight loss is profound should have no significant effect on the outcome of the previous surgery.

Weight loss after tummy tuck and breast surgery

Thank you for your mommy make-over question.
  • In an ideal world, everyone would be her ideal weight before a mommy make-over.
  • We don't live in an ideal world.
  • Get as close as you can. Assuming your weight is reasonable and your surgeon agrees -
  • Have the tummy tuck because it is causing you back problems.
  • And have the breast surgery at the same time.
  • If you lose weight and things loosen a bit - you may need a touch-up.
  • But most patients I see find it hard to reach their ideal goal.

Effect of weight loss after a mommy makeover over.

If you are considering body contouring surgery it is best to be within 10 pounds of your target weight.  Normally weight loss of 20 pounds or more is noticeable.  If you lose this much weight or more after your surgery you will very likely experience some loose skin following weight loss.  Considering the expense of the surgery and the time you'll need for recovery it is best for you to do everything you can to help achieve the best result possible.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Hi. I would highly recommend to lose your weight prior to your mommy makeover. Although the tummy tuck of our mommy makeover will not be greatly affected, your breasts will. Good luck

Weight loss can have less than favorable effects on the appearance depending upon the amount lost and intrinsic tissue integrity.

Go Girl Go!!

I would definitely advise you to lose the weight prior to your surgery. Significant weight loss can have dramatic effects on the looseness and size of the breasts. Recurrent looseness in the stomach might also occur and would potentially necessitate further surgery.

Without pictures is hard to say whether you might be one of those few patients that would benefit from a reduction of the abdominal skin so that you could exercise easier and achieve additional weight loss. You’d have to plan on returning later for more surgery to clean things up.

Weight Loss nearly always a benefit

Ideally weight loss should occur prior to surgery but weight loss any time is usually  beneficial.   You will not mess up procedures already done  but you may develop a little lax skin that you will desire removed.  Then again skin can adapt to weight loss quite well and you will be fine.  The amount of weight loss is of course also a factor.  If weight loss is 10 or 20 lbs you will likely be fine.  If weight loss is 30 to 60 lbs that is a little more of a challange for your skin.   Nevertheless weight loss is  nearly always a long range plus.   My Best,  Dr C