How do I know the difference between swelling and fat? (Photo)

I am 6 weeks post op tummy tuck and contouring. My sides, lower back and incision looks great but I still have a pudge in the front. When I jump it jiggles like fat, is it swelling or fat? I'm still sore and use my compression garment everyday. Naturally, I'm anxious to see the end results but I'm nervous that my results won't be what I'm expecting. I'm in GA, I traveled to Miami for my procedure so I haven't had any aftercare since I was two weeks post op. Please advise.

Swelling vs Fat

Mainly by time passing. The more time passes, the less likely there is significant swelling. Certainly by 4-6 months the vast majority of noticeable swelling would be gone. Remember that you will still have fat left. Not only because it is normal, but in Florida only 1000cc of fat can be removed at the same time as your tummy tuck if it was done in an office/clinic.

Swelling after tummy tuck

There are several possibilities that might explain your swelling.  It's entirely normal to have swelling in the front lower part of your abdomen for months following surgery. Often this swelling is worse at night than in the morning and eventually disappears.  A different type of swelling is called seroma which is a fluid collection that might need to be relieved. See your plastic surgeon who will know what it is and what to do.

Richard L. Zeff, MD
Portsmouth Plastic Surgeon