Is Restylane a good choice for hollow temples?

I recently had restylane injected in the hollows of my temples about almost 2 weeks ago. When I first had it done it was smooth, now it is bumpy and lumpy. What are your thoughts?

Treatment Options for Hollow Temples

Hollow temples respond very nicely when treated with injectable fillers, though Restylane would not be my first choice. Dramatic improvement can be achieved with Sculptra as well as Radiesse Plus and even Voluma. The choice depends on the age of the patient as well as the level of correction needed. As far as your experience, the lumps and bumps you are seeing need to be addressed and corrected depending on their source. If due to the product itself, there are definite options to resolve this issue.

Katy Dermatologic Surgeon

Temple Fillers

Thank you for sharing your question. Restylane can be used to address this area, however I have had excellent success in my practice using Juvederm and Sculptra (series of treatments). While lumps and bumps can be normal as the filler settles, at the two week mark the filler should be mostly integrated and lumps should resolve. Irecommend returning to your injector to discuss your concerns as the filler may need to be dissolved using hyaluronidase.

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS

Restylane for hollow temples

Thanks for your question and we always recommend that you have a consultation with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to assure that you are getting all of the proper information, that you know that we know more about the anatomy of the area better than anyone, and we know the products that are available better than anyone. In the hollows, there are certain medicines that work really well – Sculptra and Radiesse are great non-HA fillers that can lead to really good outcomes in skilled hands. As for fillers, Restylane can be used, but more and more Restylane Silk or Lyft are being used here. And if there are lumps there, probably poor injection techniques are to be blamed and if needed, hyaluronidase can be injected to reduce the filler that was used in the area. Find the right provider, learn your treatment options, and get the results that you are looking for.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Temple Hollows

I prefer Sculptra for the temple hollows since this is an excellent way of safely injecting the hollows and once filled will last more than two years.  Best, Dr. Green

Dermal fillers for temples

Thank you for sharing your question. Restylane Lyft is probably one of the better products of filling in hollowed temples. Standard Restylane can be injected over the Lyft to enhance the results. Make sure an experienced injector performs the treatment in this region of the face. See your injector about the bumps if they are not resolving.
Good luck,

Temple Filler

Thanks for the question. Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse and Sculptra can all be injected to fill out the temples. I would recommend going back to see your doctor, because seeing or feeling bumps and lumps may indicate that the filler was injected too superficially. Good luck!

Morgan Rabach, MD

Is Restylane a good choice for filling the temples?

You could certainly use restylane for filling the temples, although it would not be my first choice, unless it was Restylane Lyft, then I would consider it.  Regular restylane is relatively thin and doesn't provide enough lift for the area.  My favorites are Radiesse and Sculptra for this area. If you feel the area is lumpy/bumpy, return to your injector for examination.  

Jacquelyn Dosal, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Recommended tx fr temple hollows is either Juvederm's VOLUMA or Restylane LYFT. Both are longer lasting and more expensive in the $900 /syringe range. Most likely will need 2 to 4 syringes.... Another option is fat grafts!

Hollow Temples filler...

Thank you for your question.  Typically temples are filled with Sculptra as lipoatrophy particularly hollowing of the temples was their initial indication prior to even being indicated for cosmetic use.  If your Restylane is bumpy and lumpy you should return to your physician for reevaluation and possible treatment with hyaluronidase.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Is Restylane a Good Choice for Filling Temples?

Any filler can be used to address hollow temples. However,  Restylane is relatively far down on the list of fillers \ volumizers available for this purpose. My first choice would be Sculptra, a biostimulater of collagen production. I have also successfully used Voluma and Radiesse for this indication. Restylane can be used,  but it's ability to provide volume is limited. I would return to your Doctor regarding the luminescent. Restylane is relatively unforgiving and requires a precise touch. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon