Pain 3 months after a crown, already had a root canal.

Had a crown and root canal done several years ago. The crown broke so I got a new one 3 months ago. Everything was fine, no pain, until this weekend then all of the sudden I have extreme pain when biting down and the gums around it are very sensitive. Is it possible the crown can shift or raise up a bit throwing off the bite? Why would it be fine for 3 months then all the sudden start to hurt? How can a tooth that has had a root canal already hurt? Also hurts if I touch it with my finger.

Pain with root canal and #crown #DrSoftTouch

I would recommend that you see your dentist for an x-ray and a complete evaluation. There are many things that could be happening to this tooth. A root canal should not hurt. If it does, it usually means that the root canal is failing. The best thing to do is see your dentist as soon as possible. I hope this helps and you can click save under my name if you have more questions you'd like me to answer.

Root Canal Retreatment

Sorry to hear about your pain.   Is it possible the crown can shift or raise up a bit throwing off the bite? Everything is possible but very unlikely.  The more likely scenario would be that the crown was made too high or that it wasn't properly seated.Why would it be fine for 3 months then all the sudden start to hurt? Infection can take time reach the nerve.How can a tooth that has had a root canal already hurt? 
A root canal tooth should not hurt.  If it does, then it usually means that your root canal treament failed and that you will need to re-treat your root canal.X-rays and pulp test will be needed to properly diagnose your issue, so I would recommend that you go talk to your dentist about it.

Jean-Paul Banh, DDS
Federal Way Dentist

Pain after 3 months

The best solution is to go to your dentist and have an x-ray taken. There are many things that could be happening to this tooth. Without more diagnostic information it's difficult to give you a diagnosis.