My temporary crown fell off, on a root canal tooth; can I pop it back in without cement?

Loose Temporary Crown

Temporary crowns are made to be just that, temporary.  They are made of temporary material and cemented w/temporary cement.  If your temporary crown comes off, even if your tooth is not sensitive, it's important to visit your dentist to have it placed back on.  This is because it holds the space for your permanent restoration, and protects the underlying tooth structure.  It also helps prevent your opposing tooth from coming into this space.  If a temporary crown is left off for long enough (even a few days), your teeth can shift into the space, and your permanent crown may not fit.  You can get some temporary cement at any drug store and try to put it back on yourself until you can get to your dentist.  

Newport Beach Dentist

Temporary #crown fell off #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
This type of thing happens sometimes and it is not a real problem because temporary crowns are just that, temporary. However, when a temporary comes off, it is important to see your dentist to have it put back on because your temporary holds the space for your permanent restoration and protects the underlying tooth. You can purchase denture adhesive as a temporary solution to hold your crown in place until you see your dentist. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100