I would like to try the Cellfina procedure to get rid of my unsightly cellulite.

I have a blood clotting disorder called Factor V Leiden.I have the heterozygous type (I inherited 1 Factor V Leiden gene from one parent). I need to know if the Cellfina procedure comes with a risk of blood clotting before I can even consider having it done. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Cellfina/Cellulite Treatment/Ultherapy/Thermi RF/Body Contouring/ Hi Definition Procedures

Cellfina is an FDA approved minimally invasive procedure that reduces the appearance of cellulite for at least two years on the buttocks and back of the thighs of women.

It works by releasing the internal bands that cause the cellulite dimpling and so we have not seen any fat atrophy. You should not see much of a difference with weight gain or loss but this also has not been studied.

Other areas of the body with dimpling, it is important to make sure it is truly cellulite before treatment.

It is common to have swelling bruising and firmness after the procedure. This can last for a few weeks.

It is different than Cellulaze which is a laser. 

If you have had previous poor results with cellulaze, you can still do Cellfina.

Cellfina has shown 100% noticeable improvement and 96% satisfaction in all patients at 2 years. 

Cellfina is designed to be a one time procedure. 

It can be used on women with all skin types but caution should be taken if theres a history of keloiding.

It can also be combined with other treatments such as Thermi or

Ulthera if skin tightening is needed.

We have done Sculpsure and Coolsculpting if fat reduction is wanted, but its best to wait 3 months to see the results before proceeding.

It can also be done at the same time as other procedures such as liposuction and BBL or as a stand alone procedure in the office.

Since Cellfina outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Cellfina or other treatments are available to meet your goals. 

Take care,

Dr. Schwartz 

Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Blood Clots and Cellfina

If you are a candidate for Cellfina and you decide to undergo treatment with it, your risk of forming a blood clot will be more related to your Factor V Leiden disorder and whether or not you are walking around enough after the treatment as opposed to the treatment itself. Typically, the treatment lasts about 45 min to an hour and a half during which you would typically be laying flat on your abdomen. After the procedure, there are some activity restrictions, but I encourage my patients to ambulate as much as possible. I would recommend that you meet with your hematologist to discuss your overall risk of forming a blood clot as it relates to "down time" as the procedure itself has not been described to have any association with increased risks for forming blood clots.

I hope this helps you on your path to smoother skin!

Joseph Brown, MD
Tampa Physician

Cellfina

The first issue is to evaluate whether or not you are a candidate.  This procedure is performed in the office under local anesthesia. It can be discussed with you doctors to give you a plan.

Cellfina and Factor V Leiden

Since you know about your clotting issues you already probably have a relationship with a hematologist.  In discussing the risks of the procedure you need to know that there is no general anesthesia involved, only local anesthesia is required.  You are never immobilized and are encouraged to walk afterwards, but you do need to wear a compression garment following the treatment and there is a slight risk of potentiating clotting from that.  Based upon this information you can review the relative risks with your hematologist and then have a balanced discussion when you see a surgeon to decide if you are a good Cellfina candidate.

Isaac Starker, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Considering Cellfina

Best bet is to check with your primary care physician or hematologist to see if the procedure is safe for you. In our office, we routinely will discuss medical issues of concern with the appropriate physician before proceeding with surgery to be as safe as possible.

Discuss with your hematologist

I recommend discussing with your Dr. There can be some slight bleeding and bruising that can occure. Cellulite itself needs a combination treatment with cellfina, sculptra, and body treatments like venus legacy/exilis ultra, cellutone/z wave. even hi def contouring can help cellulite.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Cellfina and blood disorder?

This might be a problem because there is some minor "cutting" involved with the procedure. I would ask your hematologist before proceeding. A safer option might be filling the cellulite with Sculptra.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Factor V Leiden and Aesthetic procedures...

Thank you for your question.  Do you take Warfarin?  Cellfina is an elective procedure that is minimally invasive.  When the procedure is performed, there is definitely bleeding and bruising that can occur.  I think it would be best to get clearance form your hematologist, but due to the fact that it is an elective aesthetic procedure, ultimately it may not be worth the risk of having the procedure performed.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon