I am having a mommy makeover and work as a nurse in a rehab. How long should I be taking off of work?

I am having a breast augmentation, lipo to flanks and bra line, and a TT

Mommy makeover recovery

Hello dear, thanks for your post.

If you do the surgery on a Friday and take the next week off [2 weekends (4 days) + 1 work week (5 days) = 9 days] you may be able to return to a desk job the following week. I don't think you will be very happy at work, and you might still have a drain in place.

On the other hand, if you take 2 full business weeks off [3 weekends (6 days) + 2 work weeks (10 days) = 16 days total] the makeover will be a fairly pleasant memory once you are all done. It is a much better idea to take this course.

I recommend to talk about this with your PS, he knows your medical history better than anyone.

Good luck :)

Nurses deserve a break too!

What a great question. If you are like most nurses and moms (like my wife) you tend to put yourself last and everyone else around you first! If you are recovering from surgery, you can not afford to do that! Please give yourself and your body time to heal. Don't rush it. If you start doing too much too soon, you can have serious complications - hematomas, seromas, infections, etc...

For most patients they need at least 7 to 10 days of downtime before they are ready to sit at a desk performing "light duty" without feeling too tired or uncomfortable - especially after such extensive surgery. Use this time to take care of yourself. Don't be afraid to ask for help from friends, family, and loved ones. That is what they are there for and it is a way for them to give back to you all that you do for them.

And most people will need 6 weeks before they can do strenuous exercise or heavy lifting. This timeframe is based on how tissues heal in most healthy people.

I hope this is helpful and I wish you good health and happiness!

Amir Nasir, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Give yourself extra time to recover from your Mommy Makeover

Hello and thank-you for your question.

Planning ahead is key to giving yourself the appropriate time to heal. A Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to reverse the effects of pregnancy and weight gain. As is your case, it may involve breast augmentation, tummy-tuck, and liposuction. Everyone is different in terms of their ability to recover after surgery. You are young, at a good weight and I assume in good health based on your question. You have done well with the recovery after you c-section and I would anticipate that you will bounce back quickly following your Mommy Makeover. However, I would advise that you take plenty of time off to recover. You are investing a great deal of time, effort and money into improving yourself, and you want to protect your investment by giving yourself the appropriate time to heal. Taking a week off may work if everything goes smoothly, but you would be better off taking at least 10 to 14 days of to be sure you will feel up to going back to work. If it is possible to arrange for a flexible schedule once you return allowing you to leave early will give you additional time if necessary. It is better to overestimate the time needed to recover rather than go back too early. It generally takes 6 weeks to get your energy back and feel back to normal.
Our goal as Plastic Surgeons is not only to provide you with the good results you are looking for, but also to make it a safe and comfortable experience. I would recommend consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best regards,

Andrew Lyos, MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover recovery

Since you are having a tummy tuck as part of your mommy makeover, I typically advise patients to take two weeks (schedule on a Friday and it will reduce the actual work days that you need to miss). However, you will need to avoid strenuous exercise for an additional 4 weeks. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Mommy Makeover and returning back to work

Thank you for your question. A common concern for patients preparing for a mommy makeover surgery is how long is recovery. I usually advise my patients that 2 weeks is an appropriate amount of time to be out of work (returning to light duty). 4-6 weeks you can resume normal activities of daily living.  I would recommend consulting with your board certified plastic surgeon for further individualized advice.

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Depending on the amount of heavy lifting you would be expected to perform (moving, pushing, pulling patients) I would recommend taking off between 4 and 6 weeks to allow for a comfortable recovery.   You would be able to do light duty at 2 weeks, if this is a possibility, but speak to your surgeon. They can offer you a better idea of timing based on the details of your MM. 

Time off after Mommy Make Over

Thank you for your question.  I would generally recommend 2-4 weeks off from work and any other strenuous activity.    Most often the plastic surgeon determines where the patient falls in "time off" needed based on the type procedures being performed for the Mommy Make Over as well as the type job the patient has.  Most importantly follow the post operative instructions your board certified plastic surgeon gives to you. I hope this helps and good luck with your recovery!

Camille Cash, MD

The term “ Mommy Makeover” has many different definitions depending on the surgeon and entailing different combinations of procedures. Many patients with sedentary lifestyles can resume most activities following most “Mommy Makeovers” after three weeks. From what you describe as your jobs 4-6 weeks is more realistic.

I would suggest the following:
Make sure that your weight is stable, since these procedures are not a replacement for weight reduction.
You should see your primary physician before surgery and get medical clearance before undergoing the  combination of procedures.
Make sure that you have the proper motivation to undergo the surgery and that you have realistic  expectations.
Allow adequate time for recovery.
Patients who have young children should make sure they have enough help and support at home during the  time of recovery.
Seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon that is a diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery and,  ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Discuss your concerns with that  surgeon in person.
Discuss your desired outcome with the surgeon and be fully informed of the pros and cons of the various  surgical procedures
Know the risks as well as the benefits of the procedures.
Understand that healing occurs over several weeks and that you may not see the ultimate result for six  months to one year, during which time the results improve.
Be aware that you will feel tired for several weeks after the procedure.
If the procedure is going to be performed in an office based facility, make sure it is accredited by an  organization like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities and that you be  observed overnight in an appropriate facility that has had adequate monitoring.
Follow your surgeon’s instructions. You are a participant in your own care.
You can’t shorten the period of recovery, but you can lengthen it by not following instructions.
No matter whether you have an active lifestyle or sedentary a one, there should be no heavy lifting or  strenuous exercises for 4-6 weeks.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Return to work

I generally try to find out how strenuous their job is and also determine how reliable or compliant a patient is to my recommendations.  That being said, I would generally recommend that patients take two weeks off from work considering a breast augmentation and a tummy tuck are being performed, with the caveat that they may need additional time beyond that to ensure a safe environment for their recovery.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover - Post Op

Thank you for your question. Patients are usually able to return to a desk job two weeks following mommy makeover surgery. Those who are required to perform more strenuous activities including heavy lifting and long periods of standing typically require 4 - 6 weeks off before returning to work. I think it is best to discuss this with your plastic surgeon as he or she is more familiar with the specifics of your surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.