I would like to know if a licensed cosmetologist working in a clinic under supervision of a Dr. can inject Botox and do laser?

I would like to know if a licensed cosmetologist working in a clinic under supervision of a Dr. can inject Botox and do laser

Thank you for your question.  Only a physician, nurse, PA, or NP should be injecting Botox.  Consult with a board certified injector.  Best Wishes.

Botox injection by a Cosmetologist

While laws vary from state to state, a cosmetologist should not be injecting Botox.  These treatments are usually provided by physicians, experienced nurses, or physicians assistants.  It is extremely important to be treated by someone who is not only qualified but highly experienced whether you are receiving Botox or any other aesthetic treatment.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cosmetologist injecting Botox

Thank you for your question. Botox should typically be administered by a physician or nurse. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Not in California or probably in any state

In California, the minimum requirement is a RN degree.

While medical assistants are allowed to give injections, Botox is considered more than an injection in that it is a treatment.

I would certainly not want a cosmetologist performing a medical procedure on me.

Botox may seem like an every day treatment that takes little skill or knowledge how to do, but it's not. 

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

A cosmetologist has no business injecting Botox in Florida or any state

Thanks for the question and one thing you see from the answers is that every state has different
rules and regulations. And Florida is no exception where I have been aware of that there has been
legislation on the books for several years on who can do what and where. A cosmetologist has no
business injecting Botox in Florida or any state – this is not in the scope of their license and even under
the auspices of a licensed physician, this is not something that should be done anywhere. Lasers are a
little more in the gray area – and again, in Florida, hair removal lasers can be used by cosmetologist,
under the auspices of a physician – but in this market and anywhere, it is buyer’s beware – make sure that
the person doing anything to you is well trained, well versed, and well supervised.
Bottom line – be careful.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

It is NOT in the scope of practice for a cosmetologist to administer BOTOX injections to a patient even under the supervision of a Florida licensed MD/DO!!!! In fact it is a loss of license issue for both the cosmo. and doc. If this is or has happened PLEASE pm me the names so a report can be submitted to the DPR & the Fl Board of Medicine. As for laser it depends on the class of laser being applied, i.e. hair removal lasers are Ok but ablative lasers are NOT! 

Aesthetician and Botox

I suggest going to a well trained core physician for any aesthetic procedures to limit any complications.  Best, Dr. Emer.

The rules differ from state to sate.  The State of California would not allow a cosmetologist to do either of those procedures and I'll bet that NY and Florida would not allow it either.  I guess, in my humble opinion, is not really if it can be done but would "you" want it done to you as a patient.  Botox is a wonderful product as are Laser treatments when in the hands of an experienced physician.  PA's and RN's can administer these treatments under the supervision of an experienced MD but beyond that..why would you want it?

Can an esthetician perform Botox and laser treatments in Florida? No.

In the state of Florida, this is neither legal nor safe. In the state of Colorado, where I practice, this is absolutely legal but still unsafe. The training and experience of your physician is critical to your safety and your outcome. These treatments should not be delegated to less experienced "technicians." I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can a licensed cosmetologist working in a clinic under supervision of a Dr. can inject Botox and do laser

No. It is not legal for a cosmetologist to order and administer Botox or perform or operate any laser devices.