What Can I Do to Fix the Rippling/Wrinkling on my Breasts?

Hi, i had my breasts enlarged the first time to 525cc dual plane silicone and wanted bigger so a year ago i went to 800cc dual plane silicone however i had a 'knuckle' and my doctor tryed to fix it 6 months later... however its been 4months since my 'corrective' surgery and this is what ive ended up like.. my left breast is perfect however my right has really bad rippling down the cleavage. im really upset and ive spent a fortune on my boobs and this is the outcome, what can i do to fix it? xx

Fat grafting and smaller implants

Your breast tissue is over stretched and does not cover the implant. Thin layer of skin covering the implant. You need to down size your implant and use fat grafting to ct as spacer. You can check my web site for example of patients that fat grafting has replaced implants.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Rippling can develop when the tissuea re very thin. Sometiems this can be treated with Strattice or alloderm to add a layer of coverage to the implant.

Your problem exhibits what happens when too large an implant is used for your tissue characteristics. It would probably be best to reduce the implant size and add some acellular dermal matrix in the area of the rippling. Adding fat grafts my help to camouflage the rippling. There are no guarantees that either of these approaches will totally resolve the problem. Good luck.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Rippling/Wrinkling after Breast Implant

You are in a tight spot, literally.  You implants are a bit too wide for your chest wall.  I completely agree with Dr. Baxter, your choices are limited.  If you are not already in a high profile implant, you can consider increasing the profile of the implant (a high profile 800 cc implant is more narrow than a moderate plus profile 800cc implant, and a moderate profle 800cc implant is more narrow than a moderate profile 800 cc implant.  Barring changing the profile or downsizing, Strattice is a viable option.

Nia Banks, MD, PhD
Washington Plastic Surgeon

Rippling and Large Implants

Unfortunately the problems you are having are not uncommon when very large implants stress the ability of the skin and breast tissue to adapt to them. Your breast are getting increasing close together and further surgery risks the development of synmastia where the implant pockets connect. Use of AlloDerm to thicken the skin over the area of rippling would be my choice to try to improve it.

Richard Linderman, MD

Fat grafting is another method that may help with your problem

While I agree with the suggestion to down size your implants and to make sure the dimensions of your implants meet the dimensions  of your breast, there is an additional possibility to minimize the ripples. I would suggest that a great technique is to expand the soft tissue volume of your breast with fat grafting. This is a technique that can restore not only volume but texture to your breast. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Strattice for implant rippling

With very large implants like yours, the tissue gets stretched and thins around the implants so going larger probably contributed to making the ripples worse. The only realistic option at this point would be to build an internal bra with Strattice grafts. Downsizing would also help.

Richard Baxter, MD

Fixing Rippling/Winkling On the Breasts

The primary causes of rippling/wrinkling of the breasts following breast augmentation are:

1. The patient is very thin, with little fat to camouflage the implant.

2. The implant is placed above the muscle.

3. Saline implants are used.

Replacing the saline implant with a silicone gel implant often improves rippling dramatically. In addition, converting the position of the implant to under the muscle as opposed to over the muscle can also improve upper breast rippling. Finally,, in the patient who is excessively thin, gaining some weight can be helpful. Overinflating a saline implant does not typically eliminate rippling of the implant.

Fixing Breast Implant Rippling & Wrinkling

If you're very thin or lean, any type of #implant can display some #wrinkling.  However, #positioning under the muscle may help.  Silicone implants do better than saline in this case. Also, adding a mesh (i.e. #ADM or similar) can help. Also, replacing with smaller implants, skin #tightening and #capsulectomy may also treat #rippling or #wrinkling.

Breast Implant Rippling most often occurs when there is insufficient soft tissue coverage due to little overlying body fat and breast tissue. Implants placed beneath the muscle help to minimize this phenomena but the lower and outside breast (as pectoralis muscle is no longer present), towards the cleavage where the muscle thins out or on top of the breast where breast tissue is often lacking are the most common places to see rippling. It is often accentuated with certain positions (e.g. bending over,or leaning). Most of the time, rippling is felt along the outer side of the breast and the inner side of the breast next to the cleavage. Breast implant waviness (rippling) that is felt but not noticeable to the eye is very common and should not be a concern. However, when rippling is visible, patients are often self-conscious about their appearance.
Factors that are associated with increased rippling include:
  • Traditional Saline implants (IDEAL® Saline implants less likely)
  • Textured implants
  • Large implants
  • Thin patients with low BMI
  • Implants placed above the muscle
  • Prior history of rippling
Factors which are less likely to have rippling include:
  • Heavier and larger breasted women
  • Using a highly cohesive form-stabile silicone implants (gummy bear)
  • Smooth implants
  • Smaller implants
  • Submuscular placement
Once rippling occurs it is very difficult to correct. Rippling can be minimized by placing a biologic fabrics (e.g. AlloDerm®, Strattice™, SERI®), submuscular conversion if implants are above the muscle, fat transfer, use of adjacent tissue (muscle or fascia) if available, and in persistent cases implant removal and fat transfer. Seek the care of the best board certified plastic surgeon possible with experience in breast revision surgery.