How Do I Fix my Lazy Eyelid? (photo)

I am concerned that my lazy eye and eyelid is going to get worse and that it is visible to others around me. Is there anything I can do to make it open as much as the other eye so that they look equal?

Doctor Answers 7

Lazy eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It appears that you may have some ptosis (lowering) of your right upper eyelid.  There are surgical procedures that can correct this condition.  I would recommend seeing an occuloplastic surgeon to determine if you are a candidate for such a procedure.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Right Upper Eyelid Droop

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

   The right upper eyelid droop or ptosis can be repaired with a short outpatient surgery procedure.

Ptosis is a common problem with a couple of treatment options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. By doing some research you are probably aware that the term for your situation is called ptosis, which is the drooping of the upper eyelid. Since there is no history with the question you submitted, I'm going to assume that you've had this problem for a while and perhaps recently it got worse.

First of all, you need to consult with an ophthalmologist or an oculoplastic specialist just to rule out any other medical issues that may cause ptosis to occur. One option is to use drops that have dilating action used by ophthalmologists to help stimulate the muscle and temporarily lift the eyelid. In my experience, the best option for drooping eyelids is ptosis surgery.

In my practice, ptosis surgery is a common procedure which we do under local anesthesia. We use a little bit of sedation, and it is important we do this with the patient's cooperation because the muscle is very sensitive. We ask patients to open their eyes, look up and have them sit to make sure the height, shape and contour is good.

The point is that you can have surgery to improve the appearance, it should be done to get the best symmetry possible.  I hope this was helpful and thank you for your question.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Lazy eye (ptosis)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have right upper eyelid ptosis (droopy), which can be corrected by ptosis surgery.  Please see an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

How Do I Fix my Lazy Eyelid? (photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As others mentioned, you have ptosis of the upper eyelid.  You should see an Oculoplastic surgeon to discuss surgical correction.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fixing Lazy Eye

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have a mild degree of ptosis (sagging) of your right upper eyelid.  You would definitely be a candidate for elevation of the eyelid to raise the eyelid to closely match the left side.

Michael Sundine, MD
Orange County Plastic Surgeon

Lazy eye or eyelid ptosis correction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

lazy eye, otherwise known as eyelid ptosis could have been caused by a variety of reasons including detachement of the Levator Muscle. Eyelid ptosis can be fixed by repairing the Lavortor muscle.

Sean Younai, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.