Best Filler for Thin, Wrinkled Hands? (photo)

I have thin, wrinkled hands with prominent knuckles. My veins can also be quite prominent in heat or when hanging by my sides. My face looks younger than my hands, and I'm very self-conscious about them, feeling they "give me away." Please tell me what you think is the best injectable filler to "plump up" my hands. Thank you.

Radiesse Filler for Hands

Radiesse for hands! The first FDA- Approved treatment that makes the veins on the back of the hands disappear. Radiesse Filler firms and plumps the thinned skin, making veins there go beneath the surface. It's a simple procedure with no pain and no downtime and the results are immediate and amazing.

Best Fillers For Hands

Thanks for the photos.  As always, they make addressing the questions more precise.

While there are a number of fillers that can be used in treating the signs of aging in hands, fat is the most popular in our practice.  It is long lasting and most patients are very willing to donate to "help the cause".  More than one session may be required to achieve the desired final result.  There is a bit more swelling with fat transfers than with off the shelf fillers but it is manageable.  

Best of luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Volumizing Fillers Work Well For Rejuvenating Thin, Wrinkled Hands

You are quite correct. Thin-skinned, sinewy hands with prominent, protruding veins is a dead give away of a person's age, even when the face and neck appear younger. Whereas even up to not that long ago there was little to be done for this problem, today, we can use volumizing fillers to reinflate the dorsum (backs) of the hands to smooth and reinflate the hands and camouflage the protruding tendons and veins.

I have been performing nonsurgical hand rejuvenation for twenty years. Most recently, my favorite combination of volumizers for this purpose is Radiesse combined with Juvederm Ultra Plus XC in my Upper East Side Manhattan practice and Radiesse combined with Princess Volume in my Israel satellite facility where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved products are available.

The procedure is nearly painless and takes about ten minutes per hand to perform. One or more entry sites on each hand are numbed with local anesthetic and the material is placed in the sunken areas between the tendons on the backs of the hands via a blunt-tipped cannula and then massaged into place to re-inflate (i.e. restore lost volume) and to smooth the area. The results are immediate and typically engender a "Wow!" response. Bruising and swelling are common for a couple of days afterward, but generally pose no significant downtime problems. 

Seeking consultation and treatment by a physician injector with experience and expertise in  nonsurgical rejuvenation of the hands is essential. Make sure to check his/her befores and afters photos. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Fillers for Hands

Radiesse injection works very well in the back of the hand to hide veins and tendons.  It is a non-invasive procedure which takes just a few minutes.  When placed carefully, there is little risk of bruising.  Swelling can occur but it is usually mild and does not last long.  Fat transplantation can be performed but this is more invasive since it requires the fat to be harvested somewhere else on your body.  Fat transplantation will also cause more swelling in the hand afterwards than Radiesse injection.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Many fillers exist for the hands; the question is availability.

Many fillers maybe used for the hands depending on the indication. Volumizing fillers such as Radiesse can help diminish the appearance of veins in the area. Other thin fillers available mainly in Europe such as Restylane vitale or Juvederm Hydrate can help the appearance of fine lines that appear on the surface. Sclerotherapy may also be used in that area to help decrease the appearance of large and engorged veins. 

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist

Fillers into Hands

I love the results people get when we inject fillers into the backs of their hands!  You are right in that very thin hands with lots of veins showing age their owner.  I usually use a hyaluronic acid (HA) filler in the hands, such as Juvederm.  I find that HA fillers look and feel very natural and they are forgiving.  If you end up with a little lump or bump after an HA filler has been used, it is easy to get rid of it.  These aren't quite so easy to treat with other fillers. 

I have also used Radiesse in the hands with great results.  Fat injection is another option, but a bit more complicated (and costly) one.

It is important to know that any injections into the hands can cause bruising.  I recommend clients stay off of any medicines that can thin the blood (unless it's been prescribed by a doctor) for about a week before injections of fillers.  These medicines include ibuprofen, motrin, advil, aspirin, fish oil and Vit E.  I also tell clients not to schedule injections right before an important event where you want to look your very best.  Other than the potential for bruising, there should not be any downtime and very little pain associated with this treatment.

Lisa Jenks, MD
Colorado Springs Physician

Treatment for Aging Hands

The face and the hands loose fat with age.  As a result the tendons and veins appear more prominent.  Restoring the lost volume with either fat transfer or a filler such as Radiesse can be a very rewarding way to treat this problem.  Fat transfer is essentially permanent, however,  fillers need to be repeated.

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best fillers for hands

There are many fillers available for hand rejuvenation. Fat harvested from your thigh or belly, Radiesse, Juvederm, and Restylane all work well. Fat is the most durable.

Barry Resnik, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Hand Rejeuvenation: Fat or Fillers ?

The best fillers for your hands are Fat transfer for long lasting results or for intermediate lasting results using injectable fillers such as  Radiesse or Sculptra - they tend to last for 2-3 years in my experience. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Fat is the best filler for hands.

I have been using fat for hands for 35 years to give a permanent filler and a natural look. Most patients have an adequate supply elsewhere on their body