Fat Transfer to Buccal and Mandible

I am considering fat transfer to my cheeks to fill some hollow, and to enhance my mandible--I want to widen the lower part of my face. Is it possible to fill the buccal area conservatively so that I don't camouflage my strong cheekbones? Is 25cc in each side too much (10cc for mandible and 15cc for cheeks)?

Doctor Answers 4

Fat injections for cheek, Sculptra and Radiesse

Fat injections do work well for many patients but usually requires several treatments, done several months apart (some do it as often as monthly). Sculptra is a stimulator of collagen production and does not give you an immediate volume. The augmentation occurs over several months, and the Sculpra is usually repeated six weeks apart for two or three sessions. Radiesse is a filler that can give you very nice immediate correction without the need to remove fat. Fat may last for many years if it "takes". Not all of the fat cells live in the new area and it is important to implant small amounts to allow for the circulation to bring oxygen to the center of the fat volume. If a large amount is injected at one time, the center of the new fat mass will not survive as it won't receive enough oxygen. That's why fat injections are usually done as a series of treatments. The doctor has to find enough fat on you to harvest imagining that there will be a couple or few treatments. If the fat removed is not centrifuged, then anesthetic that was used to numb the donor area is artificially inflating the volume of the fat being implanted into the cheeks and jaw, so when you refer to the number of ccs of fat you want to know if it is concentrated after centrifuge or diluted with anesthetic. Otherwise, you will not be accurately comparing different numbers used by different surgeons. I don't think you would need more than 5 to 7 ccs per side for both jaw and cheek if it's centrifuged prior to being implanted, but a better evaluation is only determined in person by an examination.Remember, it is better not to overcorrect with fat and add to your improvement on subsequent treatment sessions to allow for the new fat to live better in its new environment. Good luck.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

Fat transfer is wonderful

I love doing fat transfer also known as augmentation for facial contour changes. It is impossible to answer your question about volume without seeing you in person. As a general rule, you can expected that about 1/3rd of the grafted fat will "take" or survive in your face. So if you want 5cc of volume enhancement you will need to graft 15cc's.

Based on what I see with your photo, you are a good candidate for fat grafting. Factors that can work against a good result are smoking and being very thin (hard to find enough fat to harvest for grafting). Hope this helps.

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

Fat Transfer to Mandible and Buccal Areas


Either fat transfer or Sculptra injections would be treatments that would restore volume to your beautiful face. Your surgeon would need to decide the exact volume, but you should avoid over doing it. You can always add more, but once you are over-corrected it is most difficult to correct.

You should also consider filling your temple areas as well. Choose your treating physician most carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Fat grafting sounds like a good option for you.

yes, i literally wrote the book on it, Complementary Fat Grafting. The fat you quoted if that is per side is much more than I put in. I tend to blend in the fat over wide areas to create a better result than putting a pound of it in any one area. Here is a video I shot that is exactly focused on mandible and buccal area, as well as a link to my fat grafting page on my website.


dr. sam lam

Sam Lam, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 57 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.