Facial Lipoma Next To Eye

Hello! My husband is planning to get a facial lipoma removed, and the lipoma is actually right next to his right eye. The doctor's have told him there is a risk of disturbing a facial nerve, which would cause his whole right side of the face to droop (?). My question is, should he seriously make the appointment with a plastic surgeon, or can a general surgeon do just as a good of a job? He's not concerned with scarring, but he is concerned about the facial nerve. Thank you in advance!

Doctor Answers 5

Removing a lipoma from the periorbital eyelid area

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A surgeon who is familiar with the facial nerve and the periorbital anatomy should be sufficiently prepared to remove the lipoma. Board certification is not a substitute for knowledge. Surgery90210

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Facial lipoma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

a plastic surgeon  or an ENT (ear nose and throat ) who does facial procedures would be the best bet for the removal of the lipoma of a face.  a Cat scan could be beneficial in assessing the depth and difficulty of removing the lipoma. Also if near the parotid gland could help discern if it is a parotid tumor or not as well which you definitely need to know prior to removing a facial lipoma in that region..

also it is important to know whether the ent or plastic surgeon you choose do this type of procudure as some plastic surgeons may do mostly breast surgery or cancer reconstruction. this also holds true for ents who may only treat ear infections and tonsils for example. so you may have to do further research than just picking any plasic surgeon or ent doctor.



Plastic surgeon for a facial lipoma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree that a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon would be the better choice.  The scar will be better but the main reason is that the tissue handling will be more delicate and the plastic surgeon is much more familiar with the anatomy of the facial nerve banches than the general surgoen.  By the way, many plastic surgeons are also Boarded in general surgery.

A Plastic Surgeon is Necessary

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In your husband's situation, a Board Certifed Plastic Surgeon is necessary. This is not because he will get a better scar....which he will. It is because plastic surgeons are experienced working in the area of the facial nerves. From your description, it sounds like the lipoma is near the frontal branch of the facial nerve. Injury to this nerve will not make the entire side of the face droop, but it can paralyze that side of his eyebrow and forehead. We work very close to this nerve when we perform many surgeries such as brow lifts or repair of facial fractures, so we are certainly a better choice for this procedure.  A nerve injury can be permanent.

Facial Lipoma?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question.

I would suggest consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Check with the American Board of Plastic Surgeons and/or  and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons for appropriate training and credentials.

Best wishes.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.