Facelift for Younger People to Make Face Slimmer and Narrow

I'm 25. I know a facelift is usually reserved for older individuals with sagging or loose skin but I was wondering if it or something similar to it can be used on younger individuals to make the face seem more slim and narrow. I'm sorry I didn't post any pictures but I have a squarish face. I wanted to get a lift around the cheek area to pull up skin to get a more narrow and triangular looking jaw. Cheek fillers aren't possible because they widen my face.

How To Make My Face Slimmer

When a 25 year old is seeking a more defined face, a facelift is not an option.  A thorough evaluation by a face specialist can help determine what is the best course of action.  The following are treatment possiblities:

• Weight loss- In some individuals, weight can be carried in the face.  It is in general a good first step.
  • Avoidance of gum chewing/ chewy foods/ etc-  Too much stimulation of jaw muscles can lead to an overly wide and square face.  The jaw muscle responsible is called the masseter muscle.
  • Buccal fat removal- Buccal fat is compartmentalized fat and can lead to a more sculpted facial look, especially in the midface area.
  • Botox Jaw Reduction- Can lead to a softening of facial features and a less square jaw.

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Buccal Fat Pad resection, not a Facelift can slim a young face to look narrower

A Facelift done on a full young face can actually make the face look fuller!

A Buccal Fat Pad Resection removes extra fat from the "chubby cheeks" and can make the cheeks appear more "hollow" and the face look thinner. Maxillary or Cheek Implants can accentuate the High Cheek Bone appearance.

You need to be examined by an expert who uses the Buccal Fat Pad Resection and who can evaluate your face to determine if the Buccal Fat Pad resection will help you.

There are other causes of a full looking face including Maxillary Hypoplasia which require a different approach. You should see an experienced doctor, preferably one experienced in Craniofacial Surgery who can properly evaluate you.

Your surgeon may suggest non-surgical options...

We occasionally see patients who are unhappy with the shape of their face. When this situation arises it’s not unusual for them to be concerned about their transverse facial width. Many of these patients would like a slimmer face with a decreased transverse dimension. These individuals occasionally request facelift surgery in an effort to address this problem. Although facelifts will make the face look younger they won’t dramatically impact the shape of the face.
In your case it’s virtually impossible to make a recommendation without pictures or a physical examination. In the vast majority of patients who have this concern the anatomic deformity resides at the level of the boney facial skeleton. Correction of this type of problem is no simple matter and usually requires surgery on the underlying facial skeleton. In most cases the risk benefit ratio of this type of procedure renders this undertaking inappropriate.
For this reason, many surgeons try to disguise the deformity by operating on the facial soft tissues. Under these circumstances, injectable fillers, micro liposuction and buccal fat pad removal have all been attempted. These maneuvers are associated with minimal improvement in facial shape and for this reason aren’t frequently utilized.
If you’re concerned about facial aesthetics, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to evaluate your anatomy and formulate an appropriate treatment plan.

What is the Best Age for a Facelift

During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect.
If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.

Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. Like the Life-Style™ facelift, this is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.

The best candidates for #LiteLift are patients 35-60 years old with early changes of the lower face and the neck. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™.
Lite Lift™ surgery is individualized for each patient. The best candidates for Lite Lift™ surgery have a face and neck line beginning to sag, but whose skin has elasticity and whose bone structure is well defined and do not smoke.

You need to be examined in person however a squarish face is difficult to narrow.  Things that come to mind but may or may not be appropriate for you would include botox to the angle of your mandible to decrease muscle bulk and possibly buccal fat pad removal IF your cheeks are rounded and full.  The latter simulates the appearance of someone's face who has lost 5-15 lbs flattening or hollowing the soft part of their cheeks. Certainly a facelift would NOT be a consideration for someone your age.
Meet with board certified doctors to discuss options (if any are appropriate) and good luck!

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, Am. Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, CA

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Can my face be made slimmer and more narrow?

Without photos or a physical exam, it is impossible to provide any recommendations. That being said, faces tend to be wide for 2 common reasons - bony facial structure, or weight gain. If one is overweight, the best treatment is to lose weight with diet and exercise. If it is due to the underlying bony structure, this is harder to treat in a satisfying way. Sometimes, judicious use of fillers or facial implants can be used to balance things in a way that gives the appearance of a more narrow face. I recommend a formal consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so an individualized recommendation be made. Good luck!

Bryan Correa, MD

Jawline contouring

If your jawline is your concern, then it's better to consider something that would modify the jawline itself rather than a facelift. You can consider Botox to relax the masseter muscles, or jawline contouring to target the actual bone.

Face lift at 25?

A facelift would not be an ideal option for a 25 year old, especially when it seems that you are most unhappy with your underlying facial framework.

I would recommend a formal facial evaluation with a facial plastic surgeon, who may recommend one of a variety of minimally invasive options (including fillers, botulinum toxin) to help achieve your cosmetic goals.

Kenneth E. Morgenstern, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Face lift to make the face slimmer and more narrow at age 25

At 25 years of age, you do not need a facelift. A facelift does not make the face slimmer or more narrow, it just  turns back for clock on the aging process in patients that are in their 50s 60s and 70s. For many examples of what a facelift can accomplish, please see the link below to our facelift  photo gallery he

Facelift for slimming the face

Facelift do not change your inherent facial structure. I would look to other non-invasive methods first. The basis of a facelift is not pulling the skin rather it is repositioning of tissues under the skin and then re-draping the skin over the more youthful understructure. In some patients neck liposuction, fat grafting and other procedures to the eyes or forehead are done concurrently. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to get a detailed exam and treatment plan. Most have complimentary or low cost consultations.