Facelift for Younger People to Make Face Slimmer and Narrow

I'm 25. I know a facelift is usually reserved for older individuals with sagging or loose skin but I was wondering if it or something similar to it can be used on younger individuals to make the face seem more slim and narrow. I'm sorry I didn't post any pictures but I have a squarish face. I wanted to get a lift around the cheek area to pull up skin to get a more narrow and triangular looking jaw. Cheek fillers aren't possible because they widen my face.

Your surgeon may suggest non-surgical options...

We occasionally see patients who are unhappy with the shape of their face. When this situation arises it’s not unusual for them to be concerned about their transverse facial width. Many of these patients would like a slimmer face with a decreased transverse dimension. These individuals occasionally request facelift surgery in an effort to address this problem. Although facelifts will make the face look younger they won’t dramatically impact the shape of the face.
In your case it’s virtually impossible to make a recommendation without pictures or a physical examination. In the vast majority of patients who have this concern the anatomic deformity resides at the level of the boney facial skeleton. Correction of this type of problem is no simple matter and usually requires surgery on the underlying facial skeleton. In most cases the risk benefit ratio of this type of procedure renders this undertaking inappropriate.
For this reason, many surgeons try to disguise the deformity by operating on the facial soft tissues. Under these circumstances, injectable fillers, micro liposuction and buccal fat pad removal have all been attempted. These maneuvers are associated with minimal improvement in facial shape and for this reason aren’t frequently utilized.
If you’re concerned about facial aesthetics, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to evaluate your anatomy and formulate an appropriate treatment plan.

How To Make My Face Slimmer

When a 25 year old is seeking a more defined face, a facelift is not an option.  A thorough evaluation by a face specialist can help determine what is the best course of action.  The following are treatment possiblities:

• Weight loss- In some individuals, weight can be carried in the face.  It is in general a good first step.
  • Avoidance of gum chewing/ chewy foods/ etc-  Too much stimulation of jaw muscles can lead to an overly wide and square face.  The jaw muscle responsible is called the masseter muscle.
  • Buccal fat removal- Buccal fat is compartmentalized fat and can lead to a more sculpted facial look, especially in the midface area.
  • Botox Jaw Reduction- Can lead to a softening of facial features and a less square jaw.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

You need to be examined in person however a squarish face is difficult to narrow.  Things that come to mind but may or may not be appropriate for you would include botox to the angle of your mandible to decrease muscle bulk and possibly buccal fat pad removal IF your cheeks are rounded and full.  The latter simulates the appearance of someone's face who has lost 5-15 lbs flattening or hollowing the soft part of their cheeks. Certainly a facelift would NOT be a consideration for someone your age.
Meet with board certified doctors to discuss options (if any are appropriate) and good luck!

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, Am. Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, CA

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Can my face be made slimmer and more narrow?

Without photos or a physical exam, it is impossible to provide any recommendations. That being said, faces tend to be wide for 2 common reasons - bony facial structure, or weight gain. If one is overweight, the best treatment is to lose weight with diet and exercise. If it is due to the underlying bony structure, this is harder to treat in a satisfying way. Sometimes, judicious use of fillers or facial implants can be used to balance things in a way that gives the appearance of a more narrow face. I recommend a formal consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so an individualized recommendation be made. Good luck!

Bryan Correa, MD

Jawline contouring

If your jawline is your concern, then it's better to consider something that would modify the jawline itself rather than a facelift. You can consider Botox to relax the masseter muscles, or jawline contouring to target the actual bone.

Face lift at 25?

A facelift would not be an ideal option for a 25 year old, especially when it seems that you are most unhappy with your underlying facial framework.

I would recommend a formal facial evaluation with a facial plastic surgeon, who may recommend one of a variety of minimally invasive options (including fillers, botulinum toxin) to help achieve your cosmetic goals.

Kenneth E. Morgenstern, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Face lift to make the face slimmer and more narrow at age 25

At 25 years of age, you do not need a facelift. A facelift does not make the face slimmer or more narrow, it just  turns back for clock on the aging process in patients that are in their 50s 60s and 70s. For many examples of what a facelift can accomplish, please see the link below to our facelift  photo gallery he

Facelift for slimming the face

Facelift do not change your inherent facial structure. I would look to other non-invasive methods first. The basis of a facelift is not pulling the skin rather it is repositioning of tissues under the skin and then re-draping the skin over the more youthful understructure. In some patients neck liposuction, fat grafting and other procedures to the eyes or forehead are done concurrently. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to get a detailed exam and treatment plan. Most have complimentary or low cost consultations.

Face lift at 25

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – you should consider posting images showing your areas of concern - it would be very unlikely that a lift is your answer

Sam Naficy, MD

Can a 25 year old get thinner face without a face lift

25 year olds are not candidates for face lifts, IMHO and if your face is full...it's most likely due to fatty tissue.  Micro-liposuction to shape the cheeks and thin the sub-malar regions would address this issue.