Will my Eyes Look Normal Again After Upper & Lower Blepharoplasty?

I am 41 years old, and had upper and lower eyelids done 11 days ago. I have visible scars at the sides of my eyes under my eyebrow. I feel like I look plastic - My eyelids don't seem to open all the way. When I look up my lids feel very tight and my eyes take a weird shape- Besides, one of my bottom lids seem droop a little. The overall effect makes me look like I am half asleep, or had to much to drink.

Blepharoplasty

In your question you mentioned that you are only two weeks post blepharoplasty surgery.  Most likely it is too early after your surgery to judge your results.  Individuals vary but it can take weeks for further healing.  For now I suggest starting by going back to the surgeon who performed your procedure and discuss your concerns.  Then you can decide how to proceed.

Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wound Healing Following Blepharoplasty

It's not unusual for blepharoplasty patients to note stiffness and tightness in the immediate post-operative period. This is often related to persistent swelling and scarring which can actually impact facial animation and give an abnormal facial appearance. As a result of these changes, it's not unusual for patients to question their decision to have blepharoplasty surgery.

It's important to realize that wound healing is a dynamic process that continues for up to a year following surgery. For this reason, most patients are eventually happy with their surgical result. In someone who's only eleven days post-op, continued improvement can be anticipated. During this time, massage can help alleviate eyelid stiffness and, hopefully, facilitate a return to normal.

If you're concerned about the appearance of your eyelids, it's important to consult your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to evaluate your status and, hopefully, alleviate your anxiety.

Looking Normal After Eyelid Surgery

After blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery it is normal to have swelling. If you have both the upper eyelids and lower eyelids improved you will find that there is swelling in both areas. The scar lines will appear red and be quite visible. Your vision may be blurred and you may feel like your eyes are tight. All of this is a normal part of the healing process. Complete healing can take many weeks up to 2-3 months. In fact, the scar line can take many months to fully fade.

Since you are less than two weeks from your surgery, keep the faith! In time you will feel and look better. With some patience you will be enjoying your new look soon!

I hope this info helps!

Adam Rubinstein, MD

Blepharoplasty recovery.

Don't worry. The swelling will gradually subside and your eyes will look normal. It takes several weeks in some patients.

Much too early to determine results

The description of your eyelids at 11 days is not unusual. Give yourself more healing time to make judgements (3 months). Swelling takes  a full 6 months to completely resolve and scars take a full year to heal. If you are unhappy with the appearance of the eyelids at that time, see your surgeon. 

Wait a few weeks to months

You should wait a few weeks to months before assessing your results, since swelling, bruising and scars all take time to heal.

Waiting for results after blepharoplasty

All of there are normal concerns after blepharoplasty.  Depending on the patient and their expectations it can take 2-4 weeks for people to be relly happy with results after blepharoplasty.  Be patient and all will improve.

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Time is your ally. It is much too soon to make a final judgments about your aesthetic outcome.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Brookfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery and eyelid surgery

anytime you undergo upper and lower eyelid surgery you are going to experience fairly significant swelling. Scars will appear more visible. The good news is that these scars heal very well in most cases. Swelling takes time to resolve, sometimes a couple of months. Your doctor may have you perform some specific exercises that will help with the healing process.

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD

How long for eyes to look normal after blepharoplasty

It can takes several weeks for the majority of the swelling around your eyelids to resolve after blepharoplasty surgery. The scars that you notice on the sides under your eyebrows will also take time to heal. The eyelids can certainly feel tight in some patients after surgery as well.

I would express your concerns with your surgeon. Your surgeon will be able to give you more specific reassurance based on your exam.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD