Exercise After Mini Tummy Tuck?

How soon can I exercise after having a mini tummy tuck? I enjoy running and wondered how long I'd have to wait to return to this. What exercises can I do and when?

Exercise After Min-Tummy Tuck

I advise all my patients about the risk and complications of exercising after tummy surgery.  Most often with mini-tummy surgeries I sew the tendons in your tummy area back together just like a corset.  Therefore it is very important to wait on your aerobic exercise and heavy lifting for about 4 weeks.  You can resume walking slowly for moderate exercise after two weeks.   As with any surgery the better you take care of yourself the sooner you heal and return to your normal routine.   Exercise should be delayed until you post operative visit at two weeks and then I can evaluate how you have healed and suggest what type of exercise program can be started.  When I perform this surgery I normally include liposuction of the hip area and under the breast and these areas need to be healed to begin your exercise routine.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Exercise After Tummy Tuck

With a mini-tuck, most patients can get back to light exercise at the one to two week mark.  This would include walking on a treadmill, etc.  However, I would avoid any high-impact ativities for one month.  At that point, you should be ok to resume all activities as long as you are cleared by your surgeon.  I hope this helps. 

Wait 6-8 Weeks Before Resuming Exercise After Mini Tummy Tuck

In the performance of a mini tummy tuck, liposuction of the entire abdominal wall is normally performed first.Following that, an incision is made in the lower part of the abdomen.This incision goes through the skin and fat layer but does not penetrate the muscle layer.The skin and fat layer is then elevated off of the muscle layer up to the bellybutton.The skin and fat layer is then pulled snugly downward and the excess skin and fat are removed and the wound is closed.This leaves a significant raw surface between the muscle layer and the fat layer between the pubic bone and the bellybutton across the entire lower abdomen.It is very important that this space heal.It would normally be expected to take 10 to 14 days for this space to be healed and closed.During that time, it is very important to limit your activity.Even after it is closed, the healing process is not complete.The entire healing process could take six to eight weeks.

If you have a mini abdominoplasty, it is probably best to not plan on returning to driving for 10 to 14 days. After that, you should wait six to eight weeks before you resume exercise and strenuous activity.

Watch my tummy tuck video for a simple and illustrated explanation of tummy tuck and body contouring procedures.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Excercise after mini tummy tuck

My concern is tension in the incision area potentially causing widening of the scar.

My recommendation is to start walking on a flat surface at a moderate pace 2 weeks after surgery and start running 4 weeks after surgery.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Recovery for Mini Tummy Tuck

It really depends if you had any muscle plication.  If you did, then full activity at 6 weeks, if not then 2 weeks is sufficient.

You would need to find out if any muscle repair was performed for your mini tummy tuck.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Exercise post tummy tuck

After any major cosmetic surgery, I ask my patients to refrain from any activities that elevate HR and BP for 2 weeks.  Then gradual resumption of activities is done.  Avoid strenuous abdominal work for 8 weeks to protect whatever muscle repair you might have.

Mini-tummy tuck recovery and exercise

In most instances, following a mini-tummy tuck, you can resume normal daily acitivties with compression garments begining 5 days after surgery.  Low-impact, non-resistance exercise may begin at two weeks and more strenuous activities may begin at 3 weeks with gradual increase in resistance by 6 weeks.

Exercise After a Mini tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty

Many patients think that the recovery from a mini tummy tuck will be a prolonged, painful and arduous, but if a rapid recovery, NO Drain protocol is used, the recovery from a mini tummy tuck or a full tummy tuck is usually about the same, 24 to 36 hours. For exercising after a mini tummy tuck or abdominoplasty in which a rapid recovery protocol is used, we like to get patients started back to light exercise within a week and then start moving the exercise up in terms of amount and time after that depending upon how you feel. The one thing we restrict is abdominal work outs.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Exercise After Mini Tummy Tuck?

It is commendable that you wish to return to exercise as soon as possible after surgery. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to determining the return to specific activities after the specific procedures performed. He/she will know exactly how you are progressing and whether or not you have experienced any complications. Remember, that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care.

Having said that, I ask my tummy tuck patients to start walking ASAP after surgery but refrain from any heavy-lifting or strenuous exercise for 6-8 weeks to prevent complications and ensure proper healing. It may be 4-6 months before you reach your full energy and strength levels. Best to “go slow” and listen to your body as you gradually increase or activity level. Best wishes.

Exercise after mini tummy tuck

In general, I allow patients to go back to aerobic work-outs in about 3-4 weeks and heavy lifting by about 6-8 weeks. But, you should speak to your surgeon first and see what he recommends for yoyu.