I have done 6 sessions of laser tattoo removal over 36 weeks & have not seen any results. It looks exactly the same ! (photo)

Laser Tattoo Treatment Results

It would help if we knew what laser / technology was used.  Q-Switch or nanosecond lasers came out about 20 years ago. Picosecond laser came out about 3 years ago.  If you are using a Q-Switch laser, you could expect to have 15 to 20 treatments.  The majority of former Q-Switch patients we see have significant hypopigmentation (ghosting) around and under their tattoo.  The Q-Switch lasers have trouble differentiating between the melanin in your skin and ink.  The technology uses heat to burn the pigment out of your skin.  In addition, we have seen patients with raised scars as if they have been branded.  Both of these condition are irreversible.

Picosecond lasers fire 1000 times faster, using a pressure wave rather than heat to shear the ink molecules apart.  After using the PicoSure for almost 2 years, we have only seen pinpoint hypopigmentation in a very small number of patients usually of darker skin tones.  We cannot say it is impossible to get burned with a Picosecond laser, but it is highly unlikely.  We tell every PicoSure tattoo patient to expect at least 6 treatments, but don’t be surprised if it takes 10 to 12.  Patience is the key for our patients.  We typically see our tattoo removal patients every 6 to 8 weeks initially.  If they have more time than money, we encourage them to come every 6 months as the tattoos seem to continue to fade while they wait.

We recommend finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market.  The cost for picosecond treatments will be higher, but you should need less than half the treatments compared to a  nanosecond laser.

Fort Worth Physician

Tattoo removal not budging after 6 sessions

I seems to me that there should be some lightening of the tattoo by this point. It is a very highly inked tattoo and is on the wrist. Both of these are factors that add to the difficulty of clearing. I would try a different provider. The link has the Kirby-Desi scale which is a good estimate for the number of treatments you will need.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Laser Tattoo Removal

I am sorry to hear about your tattoo removal frustration. It would be helpful to know which technology has been used. Pico lasers are the most advanced technology. I utilize the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths making it possible to remove 96% of ink in as little as 4-6 treatments. I also utilize the Picosure for a total of 5 Pico wavelengths. Tattoos are removed faster and safer with Pico lasers and there is less risk of scarring. It is important not only to seek the best technology but an experienced laser tattoo removal provider. I have been practicing laser tattoo removal for almost 20 years.

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

What laser are they using? Are they increasing the settings. If you have ink that is permanent makeup it maybe very difficult to remove.

Christopher Balgobin, MD
Minneapolis Physician