Allergic reaction to laser tattoo removal?

I have seen several post about allergic reactions to laser tattoo removal. Can anyone provide reasons why this would happen and if I can tell if I will have it and if I do what treatment options I could have ?!?

Predicting Allergic Reaction during Laser Tattoo Removal

Thanks for your question. Most people who have an allergic reaction to tattoo ink find that it is caused by red and yellow tattoo inks, but this is something only experienced by 0.5% of the population. Some of the elements that cause a reaction are nickel, cadmium and chromium. Some costume jewelry has nickel so if you have ever had a reaction jewelry its possible you will react to ink that contains it. The main symptoms of an allergy to tattoo ink is skin that is itchy, red and slightly swollen but on the whole the symptoms disappear after a few days.  While most get a reaction right away, some will develop redness and a rash a month later and for some there may be no rash, redness or inflamed skin for up to two years. For those who get a delayed reaction the symptoms are normally itchiness and raised bumpy areas,  heat can make it swell, if the tattoo feels very itchy in hot weather this could be due to an ink allergy.  If you have not had any of the above symptoms after having the tattoo done, it is unlikely that you will have an allergic reaction to the ink when it is treated with laser. Best,Lisa Vuich, MD

Nashua Physician

Tattoo removal

Allergy reactions after tattoo removal happen due to exposure from the broken up ink after laser treatments. There is no way to predict who this may happen to but it can be treated if it does.

Christopher Balgobin, MD
Minneapolis Physician

Laser Tattoo Removal -- Takes a series of treatmetns

The body can respond to laser treatment of the ink.  Its not uncommon but can cause the tattoo to thicken or worsen.  I suggest you see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.