How many sessions will it take to remove a red ink tattoo? (photos)

I got a red lips tattoo on my neck and it was done by a amateur it has been 6 months that i have gotten it and wanted to know how many sessions will it take to remove this tattoo

Red Tattoo Ink Is Difficult to Remove

Unfortunately, red ink is a difficult pigment to remove. However, I have used the PicoWay laser to successfully remove red ink many times. Given the size of your tattoo and richness of color, it will probably take at least 5 or 6 sessions, particularly since the tattoo is located on the neck, where skin may be extra sensitive. Please see a board-certified dermatologist to be evaluated in person and determine your best plan.

A consultation will tell.

There are many factors that influence this cost, and how fast it can be removed.  At our practice we would want to physically see the tattoo, know the age of the tattoo, and evaluate your skin type.  This is why a consultation is so important before a procedure is preformed.  But just seeing your picture, we know the Picosure system can remove this tattoo.

Tattoo Removal -- Pico/Q Switched Laser

The number of treatments will not be predictable till you start treatment.  This is a harder color to remove.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Tattoo and Removal

It can take 5 or 6 sessions to remove this tattoo depending on the quality of the red ink used.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Treating Red Tattoo Ink

Thanks for your question.  It is impossible to predict how many sessions it will take to remove any tattoo.  Based on our experience, we definitely recommend a picosecond laser with 532 nm wavelength.  For PicoSure, this wavelength is an upgrade over the original models and was added specifically for treating some red inks.  The PicoSure Laser is new technology and will generally remove tattoos in half the treatments (or less!) required by older lasers, without the risk of burning and with much, much lower risk of hypopigmentation.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician

How many sessions for red tattoo?

Hello, thank you for your question, and for including a photo. Red is best treated with the 532 wavelength, that being said, it will depend on what type of device is being used as to how many treatments will be necessary. The latest technology is the pico-second technology. The PicoWay Laser (Candela/Syneron) uses photoacoustic impact/pressure waves rather than photothermal/heat.  This process has less heat, therefore it is more comfortable and the chances of hyperpigmentation are less.  The Pico-second pulse shatters the ink into even smaller particles, allowing the body to more easily absorb the ink. This technology can usually remove a tattoo in about half as many treatments as the Q-switch devices. I would guess it would take between 4-6 treatments done 6-8 weeks apart. You can check in your area to see if the pico technology is available by clicking on the web link attached and putting in your zip code to find a provider in your area.Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Red Tattoo Ink

Pico lasers are the most advanced technology. I utilize the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths including the 532 wavelength ideal for red pigment. With these advanced lasers it possible to remove 96% of ink in as little as 4-6 treatments on average. Tattoos are removed faster and safer with Pico lasers and there is less risk of scarring. It is important not only to seek the best technology but an experienced laser tattoo removal provider. I have been practicing laser tattoo removal for almost 20 years.

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon