Should I wait or seek early intervention after blepharoplasty has resulted in lid retraction and ectropia?

I sent a question less than 24 hours ago and so far received 4 replies. I'm confused as saying I need to wait, but on another patient with almost identical problem (also 6 days post op) replies were early intervention would be the best ?

Waiting is best.

However, your eyes may not tolerate waiting.  The eyelids need to protect the corneal surface.  Under certain circumstances we do intervene early when it is clear that corneal decompensation warrants early intervention.

Ectropion after lower blepharoplasty

It is best to wait and not do any more surgery for at least 3 months.  But you can get nonsurgical interventions and other treatments. See an oculoplastic specialist.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower lid retraction

From looking at the photo it appears you have lower eyelid cicatricial retraction. You'll need to keep your eye lubricated to prevent it from drying. You'll also need to vigorously massage your lower eyelid upward. If the massage doesn't help, you'll most likely need a repair, but this should wait until you have healed at the minimum 6-8 weeks. Hang in there!!!!

Roger Bassin, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Revision Eyelid Surgery

After review of your previous posts, I think that you have been given sound advice.  You need to heal from this revision surgery, and use adequate ocular lubrication in the interim.  Early operative intervention on a 3rd or 4th lower lid revision is a distinctly bad idea.  The only way to address this situation now is to stay in close contact with your Surgeon.  If your results aren't satisfactory over time, you should consult with an experienced Occuloplastic Surgeon to review your options.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon