What can I do about my chin? (photos)

My chin looks weird when I smile. It goes flat and my face looks long and horrible. I don't like it, I feel self conscious when I have my photo taken when smiling. I find it hard to describe but my chin seems to flatten and point out when I smile from the side. It looks weird from the front too it seems to stand out a lot, it's like I have a massive bulk of excess skin on my chin. Also I find it makes me look like I have a double chin. What can I do about this? Do I need surgery? :)

What can I do about my chin?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak and you have chin "ptosis" which is a weak chin muscle that points downward.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  Placement of a chin implant will not only add forward projection, to the chin, but will also cause the ptotic chin muscle to rotate upward. Dermal fillers can add projection, to the chin, but won't be able to rotate the sagging chin muscle. I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Chin changes

Hello! If it the appearance while smiling that concerns you, I would recommend considering Botox to weaken the strong muscles in your chin causing these changes. Results take about a week to appear but are non surgical. Find an experienced injector to help you. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon