Lipo on double chin? (Photo)

I have an overbite and it has caused TMJ my TMJ pain has progressively gotten worse over the past 2 years. I have a double chin and it bothers me. If I get jaw/ chin lipo what are the risks of it causing more TMJ pain?

Correction of double chin

Neck deformity in form of double chin is relatively frequently seen in patient with bite deformity. Correction of dental occlusion or TMJ disorder may, to a certain degree, correct neck deformity. However, simple liposuction will improve double chin deformity without any effect on your TMJ/occlusion status.
You should consult a board certified plastic surgeon for detailed clinical evaluation and discuss your options and outcomes. Good luck.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Chin lipo

Thanks for sharing. You appear to be a great candidate for lipo. This removes the skin directly under the skin. The TMJ is a joint  where the mandible hinges to the skull and is deep within the tissue. Thus lipo will have no affect on your TMJ disorder. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Neck liposuction for double chin

Removing fatty deposits in the neck with liposuction will have no bearing on TMJ. They are simply not related whatsoever.  For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

TMJ problems and Chin liposuction

people with overbites often have fullness in their chin and neck area.

This is also very common in people who have a bony imbalance between their mandible and maxilla(The jaw and midface)

Sometimes all three go hand-in-hand.
Having liposuction will not change your dental occlusion and should have no impact on TMJ problems.

Correcting your overbite could potential he improve your chin and neck profile.

Some people with chin fullness also do well or even better with a chin implant that with liposuction.

Often the combination of the two give the very best results.

Please look at the included link. The patient in the left upper corner had a small chin implant with neck liposuction. She also had an overbite.
I suggest being valuated by a good oral surgeon if you have not done so already.

Should you move forward with aesthetic treatments then it would be a good idea to keep your oral surgeon involved in the conversation.

Seek several in person opinions from board-certified plastic surgeon's.

Look for surgeons who gives a complex analysis and mention dental occlusion, facial skeletal inbalance, chin projection and the amount of fat.
This will tell you a lot about the providers ability to make an accurate assessment looking at all the different variables.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Lipo on double chin? (Photo)

Hi and thanks for your question. Liposuction of the neck and chin do not have an affect upon the TMJ so this procedure does not interfere with its function. Make sure you find a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Best of luck!
Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICSTriple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon 

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Chin liposuction

There is no increased nor changes to your TMJ symtoms at all.  There is no realtionship between the two.  Hope that answers your question.

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD