Will it be safe to drive seven hours alone 5 days post explant?

I am explanting out of state at the Feng Clinic in Ohio and it is approximately a 6.5-7 hr drive to the clinic. I will be staying in the hotel for 4-5days with drains to recover after explanting. I'm not getting a lift or anything, just enbloc removal and muscle repair. Will I be okay to drive home alone after that?

If you are taking pain medication, you should not drive.  Have someone come with you, if possible.  You will need someone to stay with you for the first 24 hours.

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - Will it be safe to drive seven hours alone

I would advise you not to undertake that trip by yourself.  Even though the drains will be out there is the potential for adverse effects ongoing (including bleeding); you may be pain or other medications, not feel completely yourself and/or have impaired reaction time.I would suggest that you find a way to get home that doesn't require a drive like this.I hope that this helps and good luck,Dr. Alan EnglerMember of #RealSelf500

If you are not taking any pain medication and feel up to a long drive, it could be safe. However, many women may still need pain medication at 5 days. It would be best to have someone go with you and drive. You do need someone with you the first 24 hours.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Insurance based question

Usually this is an insurance based question and if your PS feels like you can drive after 5 days and you are able to do an emergency stop then you should be fine. Personally I recommend patients getting someone to drive them as the drive may be uncomfortable for you.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Implant Removal

Given your plans, I think it will be safe to drive alone 5 days after surgery. Please be sure to be off all narcotic medications and have full clearance from your surgeon. If there is any concern, be prepared to stay a few days longer. Be safe.

Thank you for your question and best wishes on your upcoming surgery.  After 5 days if you are able to wean yourself from any prescription pain medication, and your doctor clears you, you should be able to make the drive back home.  You may have to stop several times for rest breaks and to avoid substantial fatigue.  That being said, I would rather see you find a family member or friend who can go with you as a driver so that you can continue your recovery without the chest stress of driving.  Hope this helps.