Vasculitis and Botox, Fillers. Are my cosmetic procedures safe to continue?

I receive Botox injections for migraine headaches. I also have Botox and Juviderm for cosmetic reasons. I have recently been diagnosed with Vasculitis. I do not have the results of my ANCA, CRP, and SDR yet. Are my cosmetic procedures safe to continue?

Cosmetic Treatments and Vasculitis

You should definitely check with your treating physician since there are some vasculitis diseases that make you contraindicated to these cosmetic procedures.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Impact of botox and fillers on vasculitis

There is no concern as far as injecting botox or other botulinum toxins or fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane in the presence of vasculitis. The only issue would be if you had vasculitis of the face which is incredibly rare.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Vasculitis and cosmetic procedures

There should be no contraindication of Botox or fillers from a diagnosis of vasculitis. it is the medications you may be put on that could cause an issue (unlikely) Just make sure your doctor knows of all the diagnoses and medications

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Vasculitis and Safety of Cosmetic procedures (Botox and Juvederm)

The safest plan is to hold off on the cosmetic procedure for now. 

Vasculitis describes inflammation of the blood vessels. There are different types of vasculitis affecting big vessels or small ones. Each type behaves differently and require different treatments. 

Cosmetic procedures are generally safe with few interactions with other medications; however, it's better to be cautious. I would recommend holding off on any cosmetic procedures until the vasculitis has been clearly diagnosed and you are getting treated. I encourage you to discuss it with the rheumatologist openly, so they can devise the safest treatment plan. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon