Medrol Dosepack -- okay to be on prior to Botox or dermal fillers?

My first appt to discuss fillers & Botox is in a few days. I aggravated a herniated disc & am considering taking a 4 mg Medrol Dosepack. If I do start the meds, I'll be on Day 4 of the pack on the day of my filler appt. If I decide to get injections of HA or Botox that same day, could the steroids impact the injections in any way, or affect ease of placement or outcome? Thank you.

Steroid and Botox

Hi Greengrass2, a short, low dose steroid taper is not a contraindication to having Botox injected. I would follow up with an experienced injector for the best results.

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Medrol Dose Pack and Botox/Fillers

Medrol dose pack should not be a contraindication for Botox or Fillers. Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Medal Dose pack and fillers

There should be no problems with taking a short steroid course prior to your injections.  This is not a routine practice for most injectors.

Jesse E. Smith, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Medrol with Filler/Botox

Medrol is not a contraindication for filler or Botox. Your filler and Botox should not be affected. I do recommend letting your treating physician know that you are on the Medrol Dosepack. Best wishes.

Kristin Baird, MD
Longmont Dermatologic Surgeon

Steroids before Botox and fillers

There will be no adverse effect. I will decrease the amount of swelling that occurs with the filler. I don't routinely do this.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Fillers and Medrol

Medrol will not affect the filler or Botox but as with all medications and medical issues let your doctor know about it

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Medrol Dosepak and Botox

Medrol Dosepak and Botox have no reported drug interactions. It's safe to use both.

It's a great idea to check for medication interactions anytime you start a new drug. Medrol Dosepak is methylprednisolone, a steroid taken by mouth, that works throughout the body. Botox is a neuromodulator injection that works on the muscle where it is injected. 

I recommend that you report all of your medications to your healthcare provider. It gives them a better picture of your overall health. Most importantly, it helps them create a safe treatment plan for you.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and fillers - ok while on Medrol?

Thank you for asking about your  Botox and fillers.
  • Medrol should not affect the success of your fillers or Botox except -
  • That high dose steroids increase your risk of infection.
  • This is more of a concern for fillers - 
  • Let your doctor know before you are treated.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Impact of steroids on Botox or fillers

There would be no issue or problem combining before, during or after taking a Medrol dosepack along with botox or fillers.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon