Axillary Hyperhydrosis - Is Botox covered by Kaiser Permanente?

I have had successful treatment with Botox for severe Axillary hydrosis which lasted well over a year each treatment. It has been several years and the condition is back full force. I now have Kaiser Permanente insurance and received a referral to a physician in the San Francisco Bay Area. Does anyone know if Kaiser covers this procedure? If not, I might opt for Miradry. Thx

Axillary hyperhidrosis

Botox works very well for hyperhidrosis as you know. No one can predict what an insurance company will do but the best thing to do is ask them prior to your treatment and see. Most of the time it ends up in a battle

Nashville Dermatologist

Botox for Hyperhidrosis

In my hands Botox works well for axillary (armpit) hyperhidrosis.  Usually I use 100 units total.  I don't bill this to insurance but I do charge less per unit of Botox when treating hyperhidrosis than I do for cosmetic Botox.  Regards,Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Best to go to the source.  Not uncommon to have a person give a verbal approval and then get a written denial.  In my practice I have not had insurers cover Botox for hyperhidrosis.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Botox for hyperhidrosis

Hello, and thanks for your question. Botox is an effective treatment for hyperhidrosis, but it is not cheap, so most insurance plans want you to have tried and failed other treatments before covering Botox injection. I suggest asking your insurance company directly. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Axillary Hyperhidrosis

Thank you for your question.  Botox is a common treatment for axillary hyperhidrosis.  As far as insurance coverage, best to call your insurance provider directly to confirm.  Best of luck.