How many units of botox will I need to reduce the size of my temporalis muscles? They bulge out right along the side hairline.

My temple muscles bulge outwards in an unattractive way, how many units of botox will it take to reduce their size. I am just looking for a ballpark estimate, I'm a man and their not huge just located right along my hairline which highlights their excessive size. I appreciate the help.

Botox for Temples

The amount of Botox you need is dependent on the strength of your temporalis muscles you wish to have treated. The stronger the muscle the more Botox required to paralyze the muscle to prevent wrinkles and the bulging to which you are referring. The plastic surgeon makes an assessment of the amount of Botox needed in every treatment area based on his experience and knowledge and the strength of the muscle requiring treatment.

Botox paralyzes muscles thereby preventing them from contracting and also having that "bulging" appearance.

Franklin Physician

Botox to reduce temoralis muscles

Most patients will use 20 units on each side to decrease the bulk of the muscle along the hair line. Sometimes more is needed. I like to inject 20 units on each side and wait 4 weeks and have the patient return to see if the bulk has satisfactorily reduced.

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox in Temples

Hello, and thank you for your question! Without pictures it is a little hard to tell - since dosing is based on the strength and size of the muscle - but generally speaking I would put between 20-40 units on a side. You will see the muscle start shrinking in size about 3-4 months after the injections (atrophy takes time), and they will need to be repeated every 4-6 months. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Temporalis Botox units

I usually inject about 25u per side. That would be a total of 50 units. Keep in mind that it will last just about 4 months and you need to stay on top of it or it will enlarge again. I have done this often.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

How many units of botox will I need to reduce the size of my temporalis muscles? They bulge out right along the side hairline

Without photos and the benefit of physical exam- it's difficult to comment accurately. Once you're examined by an experienced Board Certified PS or Dermatologist- a customized treatment plan will be outlined

Temporalis and botox

This is a very unusual request but Botox ought to be able to help and I would think only 8-12 units on each side should suffice. Be sure you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist