I'm a 74 year old in good health who has birthed two children. Am I too old to contemplate liposuction of the abdomen? (Photos)

Are there additional risks I should consider because of my age? Can most of this excess fat be safely removed? Since this is an elective procedure, would any unexpected post-op complications requiring medical attention be covered by my insurance carrier cover? By the way, the rest of my body is not mal-proportioned.

Liposuction at 74?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Fortunately age is not a major issue for elective surgery.
  • The question is your over-all health and your skin quality.
  • It also depends on the result you want and how much fat is under the tummy skin and how much is internal around the liver and other organs.
  • Liposuction can only reduce fat under the skin.
  • Insurance coverage of cosmetic surgery complications is very variable - 
  • I assume you have Medicare insurance -
  • Most plastic surgeons at least in our area don't take Medicare so discuss this during your consultatoin.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Are there age limits to having cosmetic surgery?

More important than age is overall health.  There are no age cutoffs for cosmetic surgery.  If the patient has medical problems it is still possible to have a procedure as long as those issues are appropriately managed.  It is important to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to learn what is possible and what is safe.  

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

74 liposuction of abdomen

Thank you for the question and the pictures.    More important than your age is your general health.    I think you should see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss you goals and surgical options.

Good luck

Richard Rosenblum, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Getting a Make-Over at ANY age--Liposuction and tummy tuck

I've treated older patients than you. It is all about expectations.  It looks like you may be a candidate for a tummy tuck and liposuction. I can't speak to insurance coverage, but safety wise, if you do not have many medical issues, liposuction is safe. Best, Dr. Emer.

74 years old, contemplating liposuction of the abdomen.

Anyone can have liposuction, the question is will they be happy with the results. To get a good result with liposuction, the skin must tighten up so that the area looks smooth. Two points are against you here, your age and the fact that you have had two children. If you want to improve the appearance of your abdomen, I would suggest that you have a mini-tummy tuck. This involves excising some skin in the lower abdomen to help the skin tighten up after liposuction. I am presuming your insurance is Medicare which may or may not cover complications after such a surgery. As always, a board certified plastic surgeon in your area can give you a much more detailed answer. There is an insurance called Cosmetasure that covers complications after cosmetic surgery and is often provided by your plastic surgeon.

Karen Quigley, MD

Tummy tuck vs lipo

You did not mention your height and weight. It looks like you may have both subcutaneous fat ( treatable by lipo) and visceral fat( not treatable, over the organs).  Your skin looks loose too and will get looser with lipo.  A tummy tuck may be better if you lose weight.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. If you are in good health and can obtain clearance from your medical physician, then your age is not a contraindication for this surgery.  I have performed this surgery safely in patients of similar age with nice results.  Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

I'm a 74 year old in good health who has birthed two children. Am I too old to contemplate liposuction of the abdomen?

Thank you for your question and photos. if you are in good health condidate you is possible to have your requested surgery. you look to be a good candodate for liposuction. 

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction abdomen

The photos are not the best but your skin looks good and I think you'd get a good result. You can do this under local anesthesia as an outpatient. Contact Sono Bello. They have experience wit over 85,000 of these procedures. 

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD

Age as a concern prior to surgery

Age alone does not disqualify patients for surgery.  In particular, liposuction is a fairly non-invasive procedure that is extremely safe.  The procedure can be done while you are awake (but very comfortable with oral medications).  Items which DO become issues are serious medical problems that would increase the possibility of complications.  I hope this helps.

Dr. Dillon

Paul C. Dillon, MD