Will I be safe to fly after getting a Lipo and BBL 6 days after?

I'm in Miami flying to Dallas it's like a 3 hour flight. What's the chance of getting a blood clot? Will I hurt while on the flight? I'm just really scared specially bc I'm flying back alone and I tend to over think things.

Flying after surgery

There is always a risk of blood clot formation after surgery and being stationary for a long period of time. At six days if you are able to stand after the plane takes off it will help circulate your blood and limit your risk of forming a blood clot. I recommend speaking to your doctor about your travel plans. Good luck.

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Flying After Liposuction and Brazilian Butt Lift

One of the risks of large volume fat grafting is fat embolism where tiny fat molecules get into the bloodstream and travel to the lungs or brain, causing significant health risks and issues.  Also, there is a risk of blood clots in the pelvic and leg veins during or after longer operations, especially when you are sedentary for long periods of time in the early postoperative period.  Therefore, I would recommend waiting a few weeks before flying on a long plane ride.  I think it is safer to wait a few weeks, and then remember that you should get up and walk on the plane every 20-30 minutes or so to help keep your circulation moving well.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Thank you very much for your question. There are several concerns for flying after liposuction and a Brazilian Butt Lift. There is a risk for blood clots, even during a three-hour flight, if too soon after the surgical procedure. Additionally, you should not be sitting on your bottom for an extended period for at least four to six weeks after the Brazilian Butt Lift. Every doctor will have their own recovery protocol, including instructions of flying after surgery, so it is important that you closely follow your surgeon’s advice. He/she understands the specific procedures performed and your personal medical history. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Liposuction and BBL - what are the risks of travel at six days

Thank you for asking about your liposuction and BBL.

• Most important, discuss this with your surgeon  - 
  • s/he knows your health and how best to advise you
  • Blood clots are serious and you can't often tell if you are forming on.
  • You can ask your surgeon to have an ultrasound done of your veins the day before you leave 
  • Clots often start forming during surgery -
  • If there are no blood clots, it will reassure you.
  • Walking around in the plane, wearing knee high compression socks, exercising your feet while on the plane and a good walk right before and after you board the plane will all help your circulation and reduce the risk of stagnant blood that forms clots.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Talk to your doctor about your travel plans

Thanks for your question. There is a risk of blood clot formation after surgery and this is a good reason not to take a very long flight . You can always walk during the flight to prevent the formation of clots or use of drugs after the flight that prevents this events.I recommend speaking to your doctor about your travel plans. 

Ricardo Ventura, MD

This is a very good and serious question. Best to discuss in detail with your Operating Surgeon. He/she should take personal responsibility for your outcome and the immediate post-op care.

I recommend to my patients that they do not sit on their bottoms for long periods of time for the first three weeks. The first week I do not recommend any sitting or pressure on the buttocks, days 8-14 the patient may sit up to 5 minutes two times per day.  Days 15-21 the patient may sit up to 9 minutes five times a day only then days 22 and beyond sitting is fine as long as the patient is comfortable. If you must fly back before three weeks, I definitely do recommend purchasing a BBL pillow and getting up every 15-20 minutes to walk around. I hope this helps. Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon