Tightness on jaw joint after Botox masseter reduction procedure, is it normal? When & how can this swelling & tightness go away?

31/F/Asian did Botox masseter reduction yesterday.150 units 5-6 points each side. Left masseter is naturally slightly bigger than right. Aesthetician told me she adjusts the points accordingly. Post injection, I feel tightness on my right jaw when I try to open/ close my mouth. Both sides are still little swollen 15hr post injection on injected area. Is this normal after Botox masseter procedure? When will this swelling & tightness in my right jaw joint will go away? Left side is perfectly fine.

Botox injections

It sounds like she injected quite a bit of Botox. Are you sure it was not dysport?  It may cause swelling for a few days. This could be due to a bruise.

Tightness on jaw joint after Botox masseter reduction procedure, is it normal? When & how can this swelling & tightness way?

Thank you for your question. Mild swelling is to be expected after a masseter injection. You may want to consider scheduling a follow up appointment with your injector to discuss your other symptoms. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Tightness After Botox Injection

Thank you for sharing your case.  It is normal to have some soreness after your treatments.  I usually recommend ice to the treated area to help that to go away.  Make sure to always see a board certified physician for your injections.  Aestheticians are not licensed to give Botox injections in New York State.

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox for Masseter Injections

After one day it is very possible that you have some tightness and soreness in the area.  You had more than the usual amount of units placed in that area.  For the best cosmetic advice please consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise in cosmetic injections.  Best, Dr. Green