Chin Implant Recovery

What aftercare do I need once I get a chin implant.  When can I return to work?  Worried about bruising

What's the recovery after a Chin implant?

I have performed Chin augmentation with chin implants for over 20 years and:

1. Only use an incision, under the chin, never through the mouth to place the chin implant
  2. Do not secure the chin implant with sutures or screws
  3. Do not recommend using a strap or wrap across the chin area which, IMHO, could cause the chin implant to move
  4. Recommend patients do not touch the chin implant for 1 month
  5. Recommend patients sleep on an airline style U-shaped pillow for 1 month
  6. Recovery is quite quick, with majority of swelling and bruising gone at 1 week
  7. The mouth, smile etc. will feel restricted which improves over the subsequent several months
  8. The chin implant should be completely healed at 3-4 months
  9. Numbness, if any, resolvs over several months

Hope this helps.

Chin Implant Recovery

A strong chin and clean jawline is an extremely attractive feature in both men and women.
Chin implant with or without liposuction is one of the best buys in cosmetic facial surgery.
The operation can be performed under local or light sedation anesthesia in one hour.
Recovery is short and many patients are back to work in 5 days.
Chin implants look very natural.  Friends and family think you have lost weight not had plastic surgery.
Finally, chin implants are reversible!.  A great procedure for patients with weak or double chins.

Steven Hopping, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Recovery

Those are great questions. A Chin Augmentation is a relatively short procedure and prospective patients gain the benefits of a smooth recovery time. I instruct patients to leave all bandages and splints in place for one week and get plenty of rest. Patients must refrain from lifting anything greater than 5 pounds and rigorous activity for 6 weeks to allow proper healing. Patients could return to work in 1 week and could expect to be minimally swollen for the first couple weeks. The swelling will gradually decrease and go away over time. Bruising is actually very minimal in Chin Augmentations. Essentially after one week, no one will know you had it done. I hope this information has helped you with your decision.

Rady Rahban, MD

chin implant recovery

In our practice, we perform chin implants under local anesthesia. Patients are able to drive themself home after the implant has been placed. Expect visible swelling to last approximately 10 days after the procedure. Full healing takes approximately 2-3 months for the implant to settle in. 

Chin Implant Aftercare

You definitely want to make sure you avoid pressure or trauma to the lower jaw region. Cold compresses are recommended in the first 72 hours and help to minimize swelling and bruising. Many patients choose frozen peas for this purpose since they are lightweight and conform to the chin area. Skin sutures, if present, under the chin are removed around day 5. I will routinely evert the skin edges, meaning the skin will tent up a little from the surrounding tissue. This is done on purpose so that the scar heals flat as time goes on. This process may take several weeks to occur. Usually by 10 days most patients are publicly presentable.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

At my practice, most patients are able to return to work approximately 5 days after surgery.

At my practice, most patients are able to return to work approximately 5 days after surgery. You can expect to be swollen and bruised for the first 5-7 days, and your final results will appear after around 3 months. The majority of the swelling will dissipate after the first week, but there may remain some residual swelling for another few months. During the first week, the lip will feel tight and it can be difficult to move the lip. This will greatly improve over 2-3 weeks. Patients can resume normal activity at 2 week after surgery except for contact sports.

Chin Implant Recovery Atlanta

Chin implant recovery in general lasts 2 weeks.  What does that mean?  The first week you have to take it easy without any strenous activity or bending over.  If you have a chin incision, then taking care of the incision with antibiotic ointment and peroxide is important several times a day.  If the incision is in your mouth, then rinsing your mouth with the antiseptic solution recommended by your doctor several times a day, plus a soft diet for a week, is recommended.  

On day 7, you can work out, bend over, lift heavy objects, and use makeup.  However, you will still have bruising and swelling that will be obvious to others. On day 14, you will be able to be out and about and acquaintances will not know you had anything done including coworkers.  To you, your chin will still look large.  Your perspective will improve at 21 days as the swelling subsides and you start to appreciate the shape of your new chin.  By 28 days, patients are ecstatic with their results. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant recovery

Recovery after a chin implant is usually minimal. Aftercare involves several brief office visits with your surgeon to monitor healing. A small amount of swelling and bruising is normal, and most surgeons place a dressing on the chin for the first five days. Most patients are able to return to work after a week.

Vito C. Quatela, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

One day

Chin augmentation is relatively easy operation to recover from. You will be swollen but you can go to work next day. Stitches are removed in 5-7 days. Swelling however can persist for 4-6 weeks without interfering with your work.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Recovery

You should get a full list of care instructions from your surgeon to follow. Usually, you may return to work within one to two weeks, as long as it's not physically strenuous, and swelling and bruising may last a few weeks.