3rd month of accutane: still breaking out (cystic acne)?

I had been on 30mg a day for 2 months and recently got upped to 40mg a day this month . Yet I have had consistently been having 2-3 breakouts at a time . Is this normal or does this mean that accutane isn't working for me?

Accutane and breakouts

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon to have breakouts when starting any acne treatment, especially Accutane. Usually the flare-up lasts a couple of weeks, but in some individuals, the flare-up can be very severe and occur for several months. Breakouts also vary depending on the dose you are taking because dosing is based on your weight. Therefore, if 30 mg is only half your daily recommended dose, then breakouts may occur more frequently, especially now that you are increased to 40 mg. Please be patient with the treatment because acne tends to get worse before it gets better. I highly suggest you consult with your prescribing dermatologist regarding your concerns and to discuss any further questions you may have with therapy. Take care and good luck.