Does Ketaconizole shampoo causes any initial hairloss?

My doctor gave me ketoconizole shampoo for dandruff and I also have pattern baldness. I have been using the shampoo for about 3 weeks.I have had shedding of hair (about 200-300)but since I have been using the shampoo shedding has increased a bit more(250-350)Also im noticing my hair is a lot thinner from the frontal area. Is this just an initial shed like minoxidol ? And does the shampoo help control pattern baldness as well ?

Ketoconazole shampoo

This medicated shampoo is going to give you a small improvement, 5-8%, but it works very well when used with other medical therapies.  Be sure to leave it on your head for at least 5 minutes several times per week when using the 2% version.That being said, your hair loss might be happening faster than this medicated shampoo can save it.  Finasteride 1mg tabs daily, minoxidil 5% foam and LLLT are all going to be more helpful than just the shampoo.  You are having aggressive hair loss - be aggressive right back!  Do everything you can to save your hair - it will be worth it in the end (and cheaper than paying a hair surgeon to put it back!

Good Luck!

Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon

Does Ketaconizole cause hair loss

You are experiencxing hair loss and you may be possibly accelerating the hair loss despite the use of this shampoo as it is not very effective in treating hair loss

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon