Treatment Options for Drooping Mouth Corners on Younger People?

I am in my later 20s and I notice considerable drooping of the corners of my lips, comparing to photos taken in my mid 20s. They give me that frowning look. The corners of my lips are also drooping asymmetrically. I have heard of lip lift for mouth corners, dental facelift, and fillers. I worry that fuller lips from injecting filler will not harmonize with my Asian facial features. What are the best early interventions and procedures to correct the drooping and asymmetry?

Treatment options for drooping mouth corners on younger people?

Tracy,

There are at least 20 pairs of facial muscles devoted to expression. The balance between muscles that lift VS muscles that pull down determines the expression and its extent. As was previously stated, the corners of the mouth are acted upon by several muscles, including muscles that pull it down, the most powerful of which are the Depressor Anguli Oris muscles. When the corners of the mouth are pulled down, these muscles exert more of a pulling down effort than the lifting muscles.

As a result, gently weakening these muscles allows the lifting muscles to pull up the corners of the mouth resulting in a smiling rather than a frowning face. This can be done with a few units of Botox put into the muscles. It can be supplemented with either Juvederm/Restylane or Perlane filler in the actual fold to flatten any creasing.

I hope this was helpful.

Peter A Aldea, MD, FACS

Longest and best results use a combination of botox and filler

Your picture is very helpful.

Unfortunately, you have a combination of excessive tone of your depressor anguli oris (the muscle that pulls DOWN the corner of the mouth) and loss of bulk in the edge of the lower lip.

The Botox is used to decrease the tone of the muscle and the filler (usually Juvederm) fills the loss of bulk.

It works well, but unfortunately is not a permanent fix.

Nathan Mayl, MD (retired)
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Corner of the Mouth Lift Options

The easiest way to improve drooping corners of the mouth is with hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane and Juvederm.  Placed in the corners of the mouth it effectively gives a "lift".  Additionally, low doses of Botox to the muscle that pull the corner of the mouth down can also be helpful.   In older patients, a corner of the mouth lift with incisions is very effective, but does leave a relatively inconspicuous scar.

Keith A. LaFerriere, MD (retired)
Springfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Droopy corners of the mouth do great with Juvederm

I agree that you should get the droopy corners fixed and filling them in with a little filler such as Juvederm to lift up the corners and give you a happy smile rather than a frown would be so worth it. Juvederm is only $550/ syringe and is so easy to get put in and lasts about 9 months.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Drooping lip corners

Dear Tacy,

there are three types of corner lip lifts , each of which provide their own idiosyncratic  benefits.
The noninvasive route would be fillers plus or minus a neuromodulator such as Botox┬« into the depressor anguli oris muscle. This treatment route is good for mild cases. However, corner lip ptosis progresses with age. 
 A traditional corner lip lift will elevate the drooping corners of your mouth while at the same time, help eradicate the small fold (marionette fold) that originates from the corner. The surgery can be performed under local  anesthesia  and results are subtle yet dramatic. 
 The DAO release is performed within the mouth but is a less effective treatment option than a traditional corner lift (the effects of which can be predicted by injecting Botox ┬«  into the aforementioned muscle). It does nothing for any marionette folds 
 A medial used corner lip lift is one which elevates the corners of the mouth, lessens the marionette folded and also can directly reshape the lateral vermillion. It is essentially a "magic trick". Results are permanent, subtle and yet, as mentioned, very dramatic.
 You are a great aesthetic candidate for either a traditional or medialized corner lip lift.

Randal Haworth, MD

Down turning Corner of mouth in Younger Patients

This is a complex problem. A full examination including the teeth is necessary to create a plan. Assuming normal height to the teeth,we need to look at the fullness of the cheeks and the low groove causing the corner to come down. Fullness in the cheeks could be softened with weight loss if appropriate or facial liposuction. 
Down turning of the corner of the mouth is often caused by a small muscle running from the corner of the mouth to the jaw line. A small amount of BOTOX could be placed into this muscle to slow down this muscle from making the groove worse. A hyaluronic acid filler will help to restore volume to the depressed area.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Droopy corner of mouth on Asian skin

Hi Tracy,

Both botox and fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm work well for this area and looks very nice and natural for all skin types, including Asian skin. I like to start with fillers and add botox if needed. 

Tomi L. Wall, MD
Oakland Dermatologic Surgeon

Drooping corners of the mouth

Botox is the answer.

The corners are bent downwards for 2 reasons.

1. The muscle DAO (Depresssor Anguli Oris) is pulling the upper lip downwards.

2. The cheek soft tissues have become loose over time and are now sagging at the corners of the mouth.

Treatment:

1. Botox into the DAO, leading to the corners being pulled upwards giving a more horizontal look to the lips instead of an upside down curve you have at this time.

2. Filler in the cheek bone area to lift the sagging tissues away from the corner of your mouth. My favorite would be either Radiesse or Sculptra.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers can be used for the corners of the mouth

Hi Tacy,

Thanks for the photo - very helpful.

You are young and have good skin tone and no obvious wrinkles on the upper or lower lip.

I think the best bet for your case would be to use fillers to soften the furrows that run from the corner of your lips down towards your chin. This would eliminate the droopy appearance that your mouth has while avoiding a funny looking "trout pout".

You may want to consider a little bit of filler along the lateral (side part) of you upper lip to give it a fuller / lifted appearance - again this would help diminish the droopy / frown appearance.

Take Care,

Dr. Kamran Jafri

Kamran Jafri, MD

Lip lift with Ultherapy in Los Angeles

We have found that the Ulthera and simultaneous Radiesse filler works well to lift the corners of the lips.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS