Downtime for Juvederm on Nasolabial Folds?

I am set up to do Juvederm in two days in my Nasolabial folds. I'm only 29 but they're really deep and I can't stand it anymore.

After reading up on it, though, I getting kind of nervous. I haven't scheduled any time off of work and have several school functions to attend on Thursday-Saturday following the injections.

Am I being too optimistic that I won't have side effects? Should I plan on downtime?

Downtime will be minimal... Juvederm is a great option.

Juvederm is an excellent answer for softening deep nasolabial folds, but be prepared for a least of couple of days of feeling a little less “socially unacceptable”. Usually there is a little swelling and occasionally some temporary redness or bruising around the injection site for the first 2-3 days. Usually these issues are not severe and someone who did not know you would probably not notice, but when you look in the mirror, or your friend, and loved ones look at you, they will be able to notice some puffiness or discoloration. Typically, the day after injection you can apply makeup over the injection sites, this can help to camouflage those issues, but you will probably feel a bit self-conscious until that all settles down.I have had patients say they fix their hair differently or wear a bright scarf for those couple of days to take the attention away from the areas we injected.

Radiesse, Beverly Hills Radiesse, Los Angeles Radiesse, Juvederm

We have used fillers like Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane, Radiesse and Sculptra for many years and if you're having Juvederm to the nasolabial folds, you should have very little bruising, swelling or telltale signs after the injections. 

Although bruising is always possible with any needle based therapy like fillers, Botox or Dysport, the smaller molecule fillers like Juvederm and Restylane can be used with smaller needles, making it less likely.  You should look fine that same evening.  You can use some ice therapy to the area after the treatment.  We have used the ticker filler, Perlane to treat the nasolabial folds and have patients attend red carpet events that same evening.

Recovery from Juvederm

Strictly speaking, there really is no down time from Juvederm. You can return immediately to regular activity, unless of course your job is fighting for the UFC. If however you would be mortified if the gossipy gals of the PTA discovered that you had a procedure done, prudence would dictate you wait until after your social engagements. A small ice pack can help with bruising and swelling afterward, but prevention is better. Avoid aspirin, NSAIDs, and the G herbs (ginkgo, ginseng, garlic) 10-14 days prior if possible.
On another note, I never use Juvederm for the nasolabial folds- Radiesse is stiffer, more durable, more resilient, more appropriate in my estimation for the nasolabial folds, although I love Juvederm for lips. Ask your provider for options.

Juvederm recovery

Dear Kimberly,
Thanks for your question. The great majority of patients who undergo Juvederm injections quickly return to work and social activities. Most have a little swelling the day after injection but it is usually minimal. With any injection, bruising can occur and with the bruising there may be more than the usual swelling. This bruising can usually be covered up with make-up. If you are not prepared to have any visible bruises or minor swelling at your events then it would be prudent to put off the injections until a long weekend.  Just in case. I hope this helps.

Kevin L. Smith, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Fillers into nasolabial folds

The nasolabial folds are great areas to have filler placed.  Usually there is very little to no bruising and only moderate swelling.   There is mild to no discomfort for most patients.  Good luck.

Juvederm Recovery

Every treatment should be individualized based on their concerns and consultation results. Some people will need filler to just the nasolabial folds, others will need it just to the cheeks, and some will need it to both areas. Normally there is a little swelling and occasionally some temporary redness or bruising around the injection site for the first 2-3 days. The majority of patients who have Juvederm injections usually return to work and are able to resume their daily routines. Most have a little swelling the day after injection but it is usually minimal. With any injection, bruising can occur and with the bruising there may be more than the usual swelling. Most swelling resolves in about three to five days, but it can last up to two weeks. Bruising will also go away in this time.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Juvederm Recovery

Most swelling resolves in about three to five days, but it can last up to two weeks. Bruising will also go away in this time. While you can go back to work right after your treatment, your appearance may be affected by swelling. You should also refrain from drinking alcohol, smoking, performing vigorous physical activity or extreme temperatures for the rest of the day to help facilitate your recovery.

Juvederm and bruises

With any injection, there is always the potential for a bruise that may last 1 to 2 weeks so you should plan your social events accordingly.  A week before Juvederm injections, avoid alcohol, green tea, vitamin E, fish oils, garlic, Aspirin and Advil which can all cause an increase in bruising.  If you do deveop a bruise, you can use makeup to hide it.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Don't risk it; bruising can happen at any time

This is an elective procedure and you have had your condition for a while. It is not worth doing, especially your first treatment, so close to these social functions. Give yourself a week after treatment in which you won’t mind too much if you get significant bruising. But keep in mind that even if you have had this treatment quite often with no bruising, it is possible any time you get a filler, so never schedule it right before an important function. Avoid blood thinners, if possible, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oils, garlic supplements, ginko, etc. for at least a week prior to the filler to minimize the chance of bruising.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Downtime for Juvederm on nasolabial folds

The "down time" as a result of such injections varies from person to person. The recovery ranges from no bruising and minimal swelling (essentially no down time) to significant bruising and swelling for 2-5 days. If you have never had filler before, I would advise having your filler placed on a Friday to have the weekend (at least) to recover and not schedule the procedure within 1 week prior to any social engagement. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist