Diced cartilage on bridge, small piece the size of a pencil lead, causing white spot after Rhinoplasty. Can it be removed?

Three months post rhinoplasty. I could feel this small bump on bridge and Doc says it is a piece of diced cartilage that was put on bridge it was not wrapped in anything. If it is massaged it pushes down but comes right back up. It is now making a white circle on my bridge where it is. The bump is not noticeable but the small white circle over it is. The circle is not quite the size of a pencil eraser. I massage it but it's not going down. What can remove this

Diced cartilage on bridge causing white spot after Rhinoplasty.

If the skin is thin imperfections can begin to show through as the nose heals and the swelling and scar settles down. If you have an irregular cartilage edge pushing up it is best to wait until healing is complete in the next several months, and then the high spot just many have to be trimmed down and smoothed in.

if this were my nose I would do simple before complicated. See if you can have a small amount of filler like restylane    (not radiesse!)  put over the area to hide the white spot. Otherwise you can have the cartilage removed, but you will then have an indentation.  

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage, white spot, removal

Hi, your question is a good one.  Without actually examining the area it is a little tough to answer with certainty.  If that area is from a small piece of diced cartilage it can be removed.  However, there is a chance it may partially resorb with time and be less bothersome.  There is also a chance it could be a small spicule of bone or even a slightly irregular area of the top of your septum.  Those would need to be addressed differently.  Unfortunately, without examining the area I cannot render an opinion with tremendous certainty.

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon