Deep Creases Across Cheeks Since Baby - Solutions?

Im not sure if its hereditary, an allergy, deficiency, or something else, but Ive had deep creases across my cheek for a long time. They even seem to be present in my baby photos. They run from the inner corner of my eye to mid cheek. Sometimes they are so pronounced that people mistake them for a scar. Is there any way to permanently make these less obvious (surgical or non-surgical)?

Doctor Answers 5

Treatment for deep creases across cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The deep creases along the tear trough area are a difficult problem to treat. Fillers are merely a short-term solution. Cheek implants inserted underneath the tear trough area are the best long-term solution for this type of problem and are available in various sizes, including small, medium, large, and extra large. They are inserted through a gingival incision on the gumline above the upper teeth and placed directly over the bone to augment the malar or submalar cheek area. In addition, any prominent fat pads or fat bags in the lower eyelids are removed through a transconjunctival incision to rejuvenate that area.  

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

In the "groove": but not on my face!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Deep grooves in this location are quite common. At your age, an injectable hyaluronic filler would provide a relatively quick, lower risk option for management. IF dissatisfied with the outcome, you could potentially  lessen its effects via the off label use of hyaluronidase. IF you are satisfied with the result, you could seek other long term  solutions such as a fat graft, implant and/or mid-face lift.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

Cheek creases

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Cheek creases can be softened with fillers. This will more than likely improve the appearance of these deep creases.  Surgical intervention may also be an option.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

You might also like...

Deep Cheek Creases

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


The creases in your cheek that are bothering you can be corrected with the addition of volume to your cheeks and lower eye lid hollows.  Sculptra would be very effective, fat transfer can be used, or Restylane under the hollows with other fillers for your cheeks.  At any rate, it is most important to choose your injecting physician most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Treatment of tear troughs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

What you are seeing is what we call a tear trough deformity or nasojugal crease that extends into a palpebromalar groove especially on the right. The treatment is filler injections, fat grafts or implants.

Aaron Stone, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.