Slimming wide face on a male? Do you think botox to the masseter muscle can help? (Photo)

Hi! I am a fit, healthy, 25 year old guy. I am not sure about my face shape but it seems like I have round face shape. And it seems like my jaw is too wide and making my face wider and rounder. Do you think botox to the masseter muscle can help? What do you think about the jaw shaving surgeries? I want to express that I do not want a feminine face, I want slimmer face with sharp jawline. Can jaw shaving surgery be the solution for me (I also want to get an otoplasty for my ears btw.)? Thanks..

Botox in Masseter Muscle Slims Face Without Surgery

From your photo, it does seem that you would benefit from Botox injections in the masseter muscles. This will allow the muscles to relax, giving your face a slightly slimmer look. It should not make you look feminine. I would try this first before moving to surgery, to make sure you are happy with your new look. Please consult a board-certified dermatologist with expertise in Botox injection.

Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Use Botox to Slim Wide Jaws

I have had good results using Botox to slim the jaws of patients who have over-developed masseter muscles. It's a simple, relatively non-invasive procedure that can very effectively give you a sleeker looking jaw and face. Like my colleagues, I would recommend a nonsurgical Botox slimming before moving onto an irreversible step like surgery. Please find a board-certified dermatologist who is experienced in using Botox for relaxing the masseter muscle.

Face shape

Hi eoxotica,From the photographs provided, you do indeed look like a fit and healthy 25-year-old.  From the photograph provided, your face looks of excellent proportion and it does not look as if you need slimming of your jaw, either surgically or by Botox.  Similarly, your ears look of decent proportion.  I would think carefully before undergoing surgical procedures in your situation. Best,Warwick Nettle

Slim Face With Botox in Masseter / Sculptra for facial sculpting

Using Botox to relax the masseter muscle can slim the face. Fillers in the chin might help. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Slimming the face

Botox is a great option to slim your posterior jawline if you are concerned that it is too wide. The injection is done in the masseter muscle to reduce its size over several weeks. Jaw shaving surgeries are more intensive, permanant, with greater risks. It can be done, but it is often done to feminize a face which may not be what you want. It is best to have an in-office examination to evaluate your natural features and determine the best treatment plan to get the look you would like. Even with less masseter muscle volume, you may not get a more defined jawline if you have thick or fatty tissue overlying the bone. There are several options for both your jawline and ears to maintain a natural and masculine appearance. Hope this helps!
Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Slimming wide face on a male?

A wide well defined jaw and chin says testosterone. Think Brad Pitt or Bradley Cooper. To say you want to narrow your jaw but don't want to feminize is a contradiction. If you mean you want more definition then consider liposuction or a buccal fat pad procedure.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Slimming male face with Botox?

Can't tell much from your photo and uncertain whether you have masseter hypertrophy worth treating.  Seek a consultation with a Bd Certified plastic surgeon to discuss all of your options.  I would ask you to clench your teeth to determine the thickness and prominence of your masseter muscle to decide if botox or xeomin would be of value. Other options to slim the cheeks sometimes include buccal fat pad excision if your cheeks are round and full.Regards,Jon A. Perlman MD FACSABC TV/Extreme Makeover Plastic SurgeonBeverly Hills, Ca.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Facial width reduction with Botox #plasticsurgery

You've got most of your facial features redacted in your photograph - but in general, bi-mandibular facial width can be reduced with Botox to the masseter muscle - I do this frequently for Asian patients - we usually use about 40-50 units per side and patients see nice results several weeks post injection. 

Facial Slimming

Hello! Unfortunately your picture does not show much of your face for us to adequately assess. Botox injections to the masseter muscle work to relax that area, causing a "slimming" appearance, typically in a square face. I would highly suggest coming in for an in-person consultation to best address your aesthetic needs, as achieving a more "masculine" face may be done using a different technique.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Slimming face

It is not possible to really see your face from this picture but it sounds as if you want a slimmer face, which is feminizing not masculine. A masculine face should be almost square and with a very defined jawline

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist