I recently used xeomin instead of botox. I have been running a fever on and off for ever since. Can xeomin cause this?

Xeomin

Its highly unlikely that your fever is related to Xeomin.  You probably have a viral infection.  If the fever does not settle with Paracetamol/Acetominophen, you should see your family doctor for further review.

Xeomin causing a fever

It is unlikely that Xeomin is causing your fever, especially if there is no redness or swelling around the injection site.  Xeomin is a purer form of Botox.  You may have pain but not a fever.  Please go see your family doctor. 

Nancy Becker, DO
Puyallup Facial Plastic Surgeon

Xeomin

Dear Savick 

Xeomin cannot cause a fever. What we do find is that those that coincidentally get ill post injection find their toxin does not work as well on that occasion.

In the absence of any other information as to your symptoms an on/off fever is potentially a concern - you need to see a doctor or visit your local Emergency Department if feeling really unwell.

I hope you get well soon 

Kind Regards 

Dr Dinesh Maini

Zenith Cosmetic Clinics 

Dinesh Maini, MBChB
London Physician

Fever

It would be unlikely that Xeomin would cause your fever unless you had an infection. Its much more likely you have a viral illness. I would recommend following up with your provider.

Kristin J. Tarbet MD, FACS
Bellevue Oculoplastic Surgeon

Xeomin unlikely to cause fever

Assuming you went to a board certified physician, I would expect proper sterile techniques were used when preparing the Xeomin and administering your treatment.  I would expect the fever to be incidental to the Xeomin treatments. I would inquire with the doctor who treated you.

Damon B. Chandler, MD
Moorestown Oculoplastic Surgeon

Unlikely due to Xeomin

Xeomin actually has less reaction on your body than BOTOX as it is a smaller molecule (less antigen in the chains scientifically), in theory, it will cause less side effects from an immune perspective than BOTOX, this is fact. My feeling is this is a co-incidence, unless the needles that were used were infected. If this was the case, most situations you will experience redness in the injected sites as well. DR Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Fever /Xeomin

My gut feeling is NO. It depends if you have other symptoms in a addition to the fever.

There may be something else going on to cause a fever.

I do suggest going to see your doctor for an evaluation.

Cynthia Stolovitz, MD
Montreal Physician

Any of the botulinum toxin products (BOTOX, Xeomin, Dysport) can cause flu like symptoms.

However, fever is part of the constellation of symptoms.  However, if your symptoms have persisted for more than a week, I recommend seeing your personal physician for an assessment.  It may be that something else is going on and this needs to be ruled out.  The flu like symptoms, which are described in about 2% of patients, commonly only last a couple of days.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon