I noticed that my surgeon didn't apply steri strips on my nipples/areola, are steri strips necessary? (Photos)

I had a mommy makeover procedure that included a full TT, MM, BR and lift. I am very satisfied with the results, but I'm wondering if I should buy and apply them myself or should I just wait until my next post op visit...your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Steristrips for periareolar incisions

Steristrips are just one of the many methods for taking tension off incisions.  In high tension areas, Steristrips can be very helpful.  In low tension areas, they are generally unnecessary.  Since I do not know which technique your surgeon used in performing your breast reduction, I do not know how useful Steristrips would be for the periareolar incisions.  

Plano Plastic Surgeon

Is there a need for steri-strips?

In the photo, I can see that the sutures around the areola are not burried under the skin and typically with that style of closure, I don't use steri-strips. Nonetheless, it would be wise to call your surgeon's office to clarify.

Owen Reid, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Dressings after surgery

When a plastic surgeon closes an incision he uses many different types of sutures to repair both the deep and the superficial layers.  Often time, but not always, after the final layer of sutures he will apply steri-strips to give a little extra support for the first week or two of healing.  The steri-strips are certainly not a necessary component and if your surgeon elected not to use them I would not put them on without checking with your surgeon first.  There may be a reason that he did not use them in your case.

Samuel Beran, MD

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Steristrips after breast reduction/lift

It already looks like you have a very nice result - kudos to you and your surgeon.  Often plastic surgeons use steristrips to tape the incisions after surgery, but many have alternate methods to help the scars (xeroform dressings, silicone sheeting, scar massage, etc.).  It's always a good idea to check with your surgeon first before trying anything new or different - s/he may think it would be great to start with the steristrips, or s/he may have a different plan for managing your scars postop.
Hope this helps, and take care, Dr. Lim

Angeline Lim, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

MommyMake over. Are stet strips necessary

steristrips are commonly used but are not necessaryIf you want to tape your sutures check with your surgeonS/he may have a reason for leaving them off your surgery

Ask your surgeon

You should check with your doctor's office as every doctor has different post op protocol. You surgeon would be the best person to answer this question

Thanks for your inquiry, happy to hear you are pleased with your results.  I suggest you call your doctor's office and ask them if there is particular reason they did not use steristrips and then follow their advice.  Good Luck.