TT/BA surgery 06/28/16. I have had persisting dizziness, lightheadedness, fatigue, and shortness of breath for 2 weeks now.

So far doctors have ruled out side effects of medication, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, blood clots, and even anxiety. I've had blood work taken to rule out anemia (still waiting on the results although my doctor is doubtful it is). It's not related to standing up quickly, diet, hydration, or sleep. All vital signs are normal as well. What could this possibly be related to? I feel we've exhausted all possibilities. Thank you for your feedback in advance.

Dr derby

It seems that your surgeon is very much on top of your situation and trying to rule out as much as he can. Give it some time , eat very healthy (lots opf iron/vitamins) and let your surgeon continue to monitor you well. Best of luck 

Mommy make-over and still dizzy and short of breath

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • You've had a big operation and you may just still be tired from surgery
  • You should have your thyroid checked and your inner ear -
  • Both could cause your symptoms 
  • Hang in there with your surgeon - s/he is doing everything right.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

2 weeks post-op

Thanks for your inquiry, it appear you have a very involved surgeon who is trying to figure out why you feel this way.  The pending labs may reveal something, otherwise ask your surgeon if he/she needs to also recruit your medical doctor to advise, good luck with your recovery.  

Postop fatigue

Anytime a patient has symptoms such as fatigue or dizziness after surgery we think of anemia of other chemical imbalances.  After a thorough work-up for that and blood clots etc.,we have eliminated the most common and dangerous causes.  The most common cause of postop fatigue is surgery itself.  After surgery, especially bigger surgery like a mommy makeover, its common for a woman to feel fatigue for weeks or longer as the body devotes its energy to healing.  For example, when my wife had her tummy tuck, she was back to work seeing patients at 2 weeks, but was wiped out when she came home.  As long as the potentially dangerous causes are ruled out, then it is just time and patience until you feel better.

Samuel Beran, MD