Areola and nipple distortion after the breast lift (Photo)

I've had breast implants on both on my breast, but only one of them was asymmetrical and needed breast lift. After the lift my right nipple looks flattened, areola stretched out and the right breast looks significantly different from the left. I was considering bringing the nipple out with fat injections, treat scar near areola with microneedling and then do the correctional tattoo to decrease the areola size and make it match my left breast. Would you please advise better possible options, thank you

How to fix a distorted nipple and areola after breast lift?

Hi sabi,

Thanks for your question and photo.  you certainly have the type of result that is typical for the type of donut mastopexy or breast lift that was done.  We know that with a donut mastopexy that areola stretches and the nipple flattens unless a permanent suture is done or vertical scars are used.  I am not sure that you need all the things you described above.  A simple redo breast lift in the office with a permanent suture couldcorrect the problem.  Otherwise I think your results in terms of size and she looks pretty good.   Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgery. Good luck!

Carlos Mata M.D.,  MBA, FACS

Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon

Areola asymmetry after breast lift

Thanks for the photo. I would agree that your areola has stretched out following your surgery. If your surgeon used an absorbable suture during your initial procedure then you could consider a revision of your areola using a permanent suture in attempts to hold the scar more symmetrically. A periareolar lift like you had done can tend to flatten the area as well. Fat grafting can sometimes improve this. Discuss your options with your surgeon and consider the microneedling for your scar after your revision. 

Jennifer Geoghegan, MD

Areola and nipple distortion after the breast lift

Thank you for your question. A revision can be performed on the right side. These stretched areola is removed in order to proofread re-stretching a permanent suture is used in a wagon wheel fashion to prevent this from occurring again. Speak with your surgeon about your concerns.

Nipple areolar distortion after breast lift.

Thank you for your question and sending picture. That's very helpful. It's difficult to answer your question without knowing exactly how your surgeon repaired this area. If an absorbable stitch was used, the NA complex will stretch from tension once the sutures disappear. I use a permanent Gortex Suture and reconstruct this area in a "pin wheel" fashion. This suture insures that the NA complex doesn't stretch and flatten with these forces. Your NA complex can be repaired quite easily in the office without having to do the three things you were contemplating. I hope that helped. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Revision areola

i think that you need a revision on the areola to "lock" it down. I often use a permanent suture of this instance. this may also help your nipple as well. Best of luck.

Mastopexy revision

this is not uncommon with the type of lift you had performed. It would be more helpful to see your preoperative photos as well. Nevertheless, at this point, it appears a revision will likely be necessary.  Despite the technique, what appears to be necessary is removal of the tension from the nipple areola complex to allow for better projection, color match, skin texture match, etc. A couple of techniques will likely achieve this which could involve the addition of a vertical incision or placement of a permanent suture.  I'm sure your surgeon will be happy to work with you on options.  Best of luck and always make sure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon with privileges at a local hospital and who does your procedure in a fully accredited facility !   You can never be too safe !  

Justin M. Jones, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Not uncommon

areola widening is not uncommon with a donut style lift, especially when an implant is put in behind it pushing on the wound from behind. After things settle, performing a revision of the areola is possible and likely your best course of action. At the same time if more nipple projection is needed a small amount of fat grafting could be performed to help the projection. best of luck