Laser Hair Removal: Day-after red marks and bumps. Is this something to be concerned about? Will they eventually go away?(Photo)

Yesterday I had laser hair removal done at Stewart Medical Group in Alhambra, CA. I had them perform the LIGHTSHEER procedure on my upper arms and chest. On my chest, these round red marks have appeared all over. (see photo). Is this something to be concerned about? Are these going to scab/scar or will they eventually go away? Keep in mind, I have been applying Aquaphor and Aloe gel to the affected areas. Thank you so much.

Bumps After Laser Hair Removal

The biggest risk with laser hair removal is skin damage which can lead to a change in the skin's texture or color. If you expose your skin to sun several days before or after the laser, the chances of skin irritation or problems with pigmentation are more likely to occur. Many patients get 1-2 days of mild redness at each hair follicle, but this is only temporary and is different from a reaction that would cause hyper pigmentation or scarring. Do not worry, this is a normal side effect and will eventually fade within weeks after the treatments.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Laser hair removal

Post Inflammatory hyperpigmentation is normal.. The redness will definitely calm down within a day or 2. The hyperpigmentation sometimes goes away with the redness or may take a while to go away.. With proper care it will eventually go away.. Keep your attending physician and or Provider updated on the progress so they can stay on top of everything and make sure you get the best results possible..

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Hair removal Bumps

Hello O.  It looks like you had a very good treatment.  Normally there is some irritation and bumps and this can last up to a day or two.  Based on the photo, we would not be concerned about them going away.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Red marks after laser hair removal

You are experiencing swelling and redness around the treated hair follicles which is a normal response to the heat energy of the laser device. You can continue the Aquaphor and Aloe, but don't worry this will get better on its own within the next few days. Just make sure you are protecting yourself from the sun. Hope this answers your question.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

This is normal

This is a normal reaction because the heat of the laser is triggering the hair follicles. That is why you have those red bumps, they are consistent with the laser hair removal treatment. My recommendation would be to use a topical hydrocortisone cream and apply it to the affected area twice a day. Take cool showers over the next few days and please avoid sun exposure until it has healed. 

Myriam Castillo
Medical Aesthetician 

Robert M. Freund, MD