Temp crown causing severe pain, swelling, and bleeding; Is it a possible reaction or infection? (photo)

Got a temp crown on two teeth last week, and later in the day my dentist went on vacation until next week. I have been dealing with pain that worsens at night, trouble chewing, and swollen, red, sometimes bleeding gums. The initial decay was below the gumline so I understand a bit of irritation, but my gums weren't this red before. I also had a strip of dead tissue along the top of my gums come off and noticed some cement embedded. Could I be having a reaction to the cement? Or is it infected?

Gum irritation with temp crown #DrSoftTouch

The gum tissue is visibly irritated around your temporary crown. Because you have two temp crowns and issues with only one, I would say you can rule out an allergic reaction. The irritation is likely caused by the temp crown being to bulky or rough or is due to excess cement trapped in the area. I would recommend calling your dental office to let them know what is going on. Your dentist may have someone covering for him/her while on vacation. I hope this helps! Follow me for more questions and answers.

Temporary Crown Inflammation

Since the inflammation is limited to a specific spot on only one of the two temporary crowns there is something other than the temporary crown material that is causing the localized inflammation. If deep decay was present in this area, it could be that the temporary crown is well below the gumline and is possibly too bulky, rough or causing excess cement to be trapped in the gum tissue all of which would cause this type of inflammation. It is also possible that the biological width was impinged upon which will cause chronic inflammation; even after the permanent crown is cemented. 

Bottom line, you need to have a dentist evaluate the area because inflammation that severe can cause tissue recession which will expose your crown margin and make the final results less than ideal.

Good luck!

Temporary crown, swelling

The symptoms you are describing and form the tissue irritation visibly seen on the photo are a bit unusual for temporary crowns.  There might be a bite issue that is causing the pain as well.  Its best to make sure the tissue is free of any cement and the bite is ok.

Make sure you are not eating on the side of the temporary and rinse your mouth with warm sea salt and water.

Dr. Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

Temp crown issues

The gum tissue definitely looks irritated around the back temp crown.  Whether that is being caused by allergy is difficult to say.  More often than not the temp may be rough or excess temp cement and causing irritation of the gums.  

Temp crowns may also cause discomfort you are feeling at night or chewing as the temp cement does not. One to the tooth and there can be some movement against the dentin, underlying sensitive area of the tooth, which can cause some pain and discomfort. 

Even though your dentist is on vacation, I would still call his office during normal hours and see if there is either someone covering for him in the office or another dentist they recommend until they return. 

David M. Schertzer, DDS
Saint Louis Dentist