What should I do if Im not sure if my stitches have come apart?

I had a mole excised from my back yesterday, and got internal and external stitches. After taking off this puffy bandage this morning as directed, I noticed quite a bit of blood in the center of the incision under the steri-strips. I'm not sure if this means a stitch has come loose, or if this is just normal bleeding.

Mole Removal -- See an Expert

I suggest following up with your dermatologist for further evaluation. It is difficult to assess without photographs or more detail. Best, Dr. Emer

Post-Op Bleeding

Thank you for your question.  It is common to find a little blood on the bandage after an excision has been completed.  It is always safe to call your doctor to let them know of your symptoms so they can evaluate you if they feel it is necessary.  I wish you the best!

Lisa Zaleski-Larsen, DO, FAAD
San Diego Dermatologist

Post-op bleeding

Thank you for your question. Some bleeding a day after surgery is possible, but on this type of forum, to tell you if the bleeding is caused by a loose stitch is impossible. I highly recommend you call your surgeon as soon as possible regarding your symptoms and concerns. Take care and good luck.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD