Do I have constricted/tuberous breasts? If so, what would be the best method of action? (Photo)

I noticed when I first started developing my breasts looked adnormal. They look normal when my nipples are erect but not so much when they are not. If I do have constricted breasts would the surgical entrance be the the areola? I am not so concerned with the nipples themselves as I am the breast shape. I have also read that constricted breasts are a symptom of PCOS is this true?

Tuberous breasts?

You do appear to have a relatively mild form of tuberous breasts. This is typically treated using peri areolar incisions, release of the constricting bands in the lower breast and implant insertion. The areola may be reduced in size as well, if appropriate. Best bet is to obtain a face to face consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. They can examine your breasts and discuss treatment options with you

Tuberous breast correction advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, i can identify that you have a underveloped and mild tubular Breast. 
I recommend you perform a Tubular Breasts Correction with Breast Augmentation using silicon implants, at the same surgical time.

There is a surgical technique for Tuberous Breasts correction, by which it is arranged the tuberous areolar ring from inside, without requiring areolar reduction. In this technique we also need silicon implants, to get a better Breast volume and projection.

Therefore it is very important that the plastic surgeon who will perform the surgery, has the skills and vast experience in this type of procedure.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast Aug with IMC Incision

Hello, and thank you for your question and helpful photos. Of course, an in-person exam with a board certified plastic surgeon needs to be your first step. Only then, during a physical exam + breast measurements, can a formal diagnosis be made.

That said, your breasts appear to be mildly constricted with a short distance between the bottom of your areola, and the natural crease at the bottom of your breast (the "inframammary crease," or "IMC"). With an inframammary crease incision, your surgeon has the flexibility to lower the crease a bit, helping to round out the shape of your breasts. An implant will enhance the size, obviously, but also the shape. 

I hope this helps. Ask to see before and after photos of patients that look like you. This surgery will be personalized to your anatomy. You will love your results. Best of luck!

Mild tubular breast condition

You have mild tubular breasts. There is some herniation of the tissue under the areolas especially noted when your areolas are relaxed. The base of your breasts are a bit narrow. It also appears like you have dense tissue (I think I can "see" that on your photos).

Treatment is an augmentation alone with or without "scoring" of the breast tissue so it lays out nicely. My patients would be instructed to massage/mold their breasts post procedure so the result is fuller breasts with nice symmetry and more cleavage.

At the lower end of the tuberous spectrum

Thank you for your question and photos!

To answer the simple question – PCOS does not cause tuberous breasts but may have the same originations. Also, it is a rare symptom to have tuberous breasts if one has PCOS.

Secondly, your images do not indicate tuberous breasts, but may have some subtle signs of it.

Tuberous breast is a congenital abnormality that occurs during puberty breast development. It can be classified by a combination of reduced breast diameter, underdevelopment of the breasts, areolar overgrowth, protrusion of the nipple areola complex, breast sagging, and breast asymmetry.

What you seem to have is mild constriction at the bottom of the breasts resulting in slightly cone shaped breasts, with mild areolar herniation. You also display a short nipple to inframammary fold distance, and wide areola.

Correction requires total personalization, surgical planning, technical skill and finesse, anatomical understanding, and an aesthetic vision to achieve the most beautiful, balanced, and natural results.

The surgery will involve releasing the constricted base of the breast while defining the inframammary fold (breast fold). The areola reduction may be needed to help treat the pointed and “puffy” appearance. Breast augmentation through the inframammary incision will also provide naturally shaped breasts with an adequate size.

Please have an in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon, preferably with a local surgeon so that following up with them is easier.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It does not appear to me that you have tuberous breast deformity; your breasts are simply small in size and your nipples are slightly puffy. You do look like a good candidate for a breast augmentation to increase the size and volume of your breasts and possibly an areaola reduction to reduce the puffiness of the nipples. I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so they can perform a physical examination and take measurements so they can recommend the best implant type/sizes for your body. There are 3D simulators that can show you what you would look like with different types of implants and different sizes, this can be helpful when trying to decide what size would achieve your cosmetic goals. At my office, I use high profile Sientra implants to create a round full result that looks natural, giving you the result that you want. Additionally, i use Crisalix which is a virtual reality device that will allow you to view different sizes of implants and pick which best suits your desires.  As the only board certified plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh offering this virtual reality imaging system, we have a 100% satisfaction rate.  Crisalix is truly a unique experience for our patients as they can view themselves using virtual reality goggles and can instantly visualize their own breasts changing in size and shape with all of the various brands, sizes and shapes of breast implants.  Thus, our patients leave the consultation feeling confident with the size of the implant they chose. 
Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Very mild tuberous breasts?

Thank you for your question and for including photos. From the photos you attached, it seems you are constricted on the lower aspect of your breasts. I think you would be an excellent candidate for breast augmentation with an internal scoring technique. I hope my answer is helpful.

Ioannis Varnalidis, MD, PhD
Greece Plastic Surgeon

Breast shape

from your photos i do not feel you have tubular breast. Maybe a mild form of constricted breast with a short areola to fold distance. A breast augmentation would help shape your breast and give you a larger breast to go with your body.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Mild fold constriction

although you do not have all signs of classic tubular Breast, you have mild herniation of breast tissue into the Areola and the medial fold is poorly defined. A small implant using dual plane would help reshape the breast 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Constricted Breasts?

I think you may fall in the spectrum of constricted breasts, but just barely. Your breasts appear relatively symmetrical and even but perhaps small for your frame/desire.

I feel that a breast enhancement (augmentation) would improve the overall shape and size of the breasts.

Please visit a board-certified plastic surgeon to assess your situation and discuss various options.

Good Luck,