Do I qualify for "belly apron" removal?

I have lost 115lbs, I have had 2 children via c-section that were 10lb 3 oz. and 10lb 13oz. My lower abdomen hangs and is heavy and causes pain. It hurts when I am intimate with my husband. Do I qualify to have it removed? I believe that once its removed I will be at my ideal weight

Management of Belly Aprons

It's virtually impossible to make a specific recommendation without pictures and a physical examination. Despite this, your history strongly suggests a major weight loss with the development of significant amounts of loose skin.

Under these circumstances, it's unlikely that you suffer from an isolated belly apron. Instead, your excess tissue most likely extends posteriorly and is associated with buttock sag, as well.

If this assumption is true, you would be an excellent candidate for a lower body lift. This procedure would remove excess skin from the abdomen and back and simultaneously lift the buttocks in an upward direction.

Of course the only way to know for sure is to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Belly apron removal

It is hard to make a judgement without photos but it sounds as though it would at least be worthwhile to see a plastic surgeon to discuss the potential improvement in symptoms and appearance with belly apron removal.

"Belly apron removal"...

Kudos for the weight loss. 
Can the "overhanging apron be removed?
Yes it can and there are two different procedures: One is a panniculectomy which means "just"  taking off the overhanging extra skin and fat tissue. Your insurance may cover the procedure: Criteria for coverage can be seen on several health insurance websites such as BC/BS, Aetna etc. I think that is the procedure you mean with "qualify...".
The other one is an abdominoplasty which repairs your separated muscles, takes off the extra skin and fat tissue AND tightens your belly skin. 
As you can see abdominoplasty restores  muscle and skin like  you had before weight gain and pregnancies. This is considered cosmetic and not covered by your insurance. 
Your best option is to see a Plastic Surgeon and let him evaluate you and than give you the options which best fit your expectations and budget. 

Guido P. Gutter, MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Do I qualify for "belly apron" removal?

You may be a good candidate if you are medically fit.  I would have to know more information.

Possibly, but please see a surgeon

Congratulations on your weight loss! It is unfortunate that one of the side effects of massive weight loss is the development of a pannus (apron of skin).

Panniculectomy is usually for people who have lost 100 lbs or more quickly. It can be performed at the same time as a tummy tuck. The surgery only removes the skin and fat that is hanging below the waist (pannus), and nothing is touched above.

Belly apron

Congratulations on your weight loss and birth of your ten pound babies. Sorry to hear you are now suffering from your hanging skin. Without photos it is a little difficult to give advice, but it sounds like you are a good candidate for body contouring surgery. An abdominoplasty is probably your best bet. The surgery will remove excess hanging skin/fat, while allowing the surgeon to tighten the underlying muscles. I suggest you visit with a board certified Plastic Surgeon for an exam and to go over your options. 

Jeffrey Umansky, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Your description does sound like you’d be a good candidate.

Although it’s hard to say without photos or a physical exam, what you’re describing is in line with many of the concerns that are common among those who pursue a panniculectomy, sometimes called a mini tummy tuck, which removes the “belly apron.” In some cases, the procedure may even be covered by health insurance coverage, as long as you have the right amount of documentation from your primary physician. However, if you have skin laxity through the upper abdomen, flanks and thighs in addition to the lower belly, more advanced body contouring procedures like a thigh lift, body lift and/or tummy tuck could be necessary as well. I encourage you to schedule a consultation and exam with a post-weight loss body contouring specialist so you can make the most informed decision about which procedure will give you the best results.

360 lower body lift circumferential body lift abdominoplasty panniculectomy insurance

Hi Momof2cosprings,
Congratulations on your massive weight loss.  Without pictures, a thorough physical examination, and knowledge of your particular medical insurance plan, this is a difficult question to answer.  
Assuming that you are medically fit and have no contra-indications to surgery, based on your history alone, I would suggest you need either an abdominoplasty or 360 lower body lift.  The abdominoplasty would remove skin and fat from the abdomen.  The 360 lower body lift would remove excess skin and fat from the abdomen, hips, and buttock.  
I am uncertain as to your question, "do you qualify...".   It would seem from your history and your description of the problem, that you would "medically qualify".   However, if you are asking if your insurance would cover the procedure, this is entirely dependent on your history, anatomy, current skin problems, and your individualized insurance plan. In addition, different insurance plans have different rules as to what they cover. These rules even vary state-by-state.   I would seek a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in massive weight loss patients. In addition, I would seek a plastic surgeon who has performed hundreds of  abdominoplasties and 360 lower body lifts.   If you want to seek medical authorization for the abdominoplasty or 360 lower body lift, this plastic surgeon should also be experienced with dealing with insurance plans, 
Dr. Katzen